Are you eager to work on the latest challenge for IC design in the mm-wave range? The main focus of this project is preventing electromagnetic compatibility and immunity (EMC/EMI) problems by applying the proper simulation methodologies, including simulation tools, early during the design phase.
- Position Engineering Doctorate (EngD)
- Irène Curie Fellowship No
- Department(s) Electrical Engineering
- FTE 1,0
- Date off 24/08/2023
- Reference number V36.6789
For your training you will be hosted by our industrial partner NXP (https://www.nxp.com/company/about-nxp/worldwide-locations/netherlands:NETHERLANDS) and you will be fully integrated in the “Analog Design Enablement” group, located in Eindhoven. The technical scope of the “EMC & Interference” department within the group involves topics such as electromagnetic (EM) simulation for RF, EMC, on- and off-chip coupling, and related mixed-signal design flows/methodologies.
Your project will include making use of dedicated EDA capabilities to address any EMC/EMI issues that can occur. Several vendors claim to have best-in-class EM simulation tools. Meanwhile our partner’s Design teams expect best-in-class EM solvers available and integrated in chip-package design flows, which are used both in the (early) design as well as in the verification phase. Benchmarking of commercially available EDA capabilities, specifically for the electromagnetic simulation of ICs, possibly including package and PCB, to identify any EMC/EMI related issues, will be the major activity during this project.
The following topics, especially in relation to the present NXP design environment, will be part of this benchmarking activity:
- Structured assessment of new EM simulation tools for RF and mmWave designs of main vendors (Keysight, Ansys, Cadence).
- Major assessment criteria will be: accuracy, speed/capacity performance, design flow integration.
- The assessment will be linked to representative NXP design test cases.
- Flow automation activities will also be part of the assignment.
- A master’s degree in Electrical Engineering.
- An experience of working with Electromagnetic Simulation tools is recommended.
- Having a basic knowledge of IC and PCB design techniques is also recommended, as well as a basic knowledge of the Linux environment.
- A design-oriented attitude.
- Ability to work in a team and interested in collaborating with the industrial partners.
- Fluent in spoken and written English (attendance to meetings / presentations with international team, reading and writing the required documentation).
Conditions of employment
A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university, in an international setting with a close relationship to industry. You will work on a beautiful, green campus within walking distance of the central train station. In addition, we offer you:
- Full-time employment for two years.
- Salary and benefits (such as a pension scheme, paid pregnancy and maternity leave, partially paid parental leave) in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, scale 32 (€2,089).
- A year-end bonus of 8.3% and annual vacation pay of 8%.
- To support you during your EngD and to prepare you for the rest of your career, you will have free access to a personal development program for EngD trainees.
- An excellent technical infrastructure, on-campus children’s day care and sports facilities.
- An allowance for commuting, working from home and internet costs.
- A Staff Immigration Team and a tax compensation scheme (the 30% facility) for international candidates.
Information and application
Eindhoven University of Technology is an internationally top-ranking university in the Netherlands that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and a top-five position in collaborating with advanced industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow.
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? Please contact the hiring manager Anne Roc’h, email a.roch[at]tue.nl.
Visit our website for more information about the application process or the conditions of employment. You can also contact HR Services, email HRServices.Flux[at]tue.nl. Are you inspired and would like to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit our career page.
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the apply button. The application should include:
- A cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- A curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of three references.
- Copies of relevant BSc and MSc diplomas and grade transcripts.
- The result of an English proficiency test such as IELTS or TOEFL.
We look forward to receiving your application and will screen it as soon as possible. The vacancy will remain open until the position is filled.