- Position PhD-student
- Irène Curie Fellowship No
- Department(s) Electrical Engineering
- FTE 1,0
- Date off 01/07/2023
- Reference number V36.6629
You are an electrical engineer with an interest in power electronics. You will develop the next generation of cost-effective power conversion solutions for electric vehicle charging stations, in co-operation with a number of leading commercial European companies such as Heliox, Shell and Efacec.
You’ll be working with multidisciplinary teams both in academia and industry in order to determine the main challenges of cost-effective multi-port EV charging stations. First of all, you will develop a business case and then you will look at the academic state of the art for high power charging and write down the technology base case. Your main challenges:
- Research multi-output charging stations for flexible use, allowing varying power grid provision scenarios.
- Design galvanic isolation that is compliant with standards and the overall charging station requirements.
- Create active galvanic isolation monitoring methods and control strategies for safe operation.
MSc degree in electrical engineering with good GPA. Experience in power electronics is an advantage, as are hand-on experimental work in power converter design and implementation. Be prepared to work on highly challenging research topics, and to contribute to the progress of science and technology.
Conditions of employment
- Your academic base is TU Eindhoven – one of the leading high ranking European technical schools. Situated in the south east of the Netherlands, Amsterdam is an easy night out, and there are other local student lively hives at Utrecht as well as in Eindhoven itself.
- Your industrial base will be Heliox – a leader in manufacturing chargers for heavy duty vehicles such as buses. You will also have a secondment to Kema which is the Dutch high power testing facility.
- This is a special industrial program sponsored by the EU. You don’t pay school fees but are hired by the university for half the time and for the other half you are hired by an industrial company: salary in range €2541 – €3247 per month for 4 years. Access to 30% extra immigrant tax exemption for non-Dutch candidates.
Information and application
How to apply:
CV (2 pages) and motivation letter, and we will do the rest.