- Position – Assistant Professor, Associate Professor
- Irène Curie Fellowship – Yes
- Department(s) – Mathematics and Computer Science
- FTE – 1,0
- Date off – 02/02/2023
- Reference number – V32.6148
Is Combinatorial Optimization your field of research? Are you looking forward to joining an international team of academics working in Combinatorial Optimization?
We have a vacancy offering just that!
The Combinatorial Optimization (CO) Group at Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) is looking for a full-time tenure-track assistant/associate professor in Combinatorial Optimization.
This position is part of the Irene Curie fellowship program dedicated to reach at least 30% female researchers among TU/e’s permanent academic staff by 2024 and is only open for female candidates.
About the CO group at TU/e
Research at the CO group spans a wide range of topics, including mathematical programming, polyhedral combinatorics, algebraic combinatorics, matroids, scheduling, graph theory and algorithms, approximation, (mathematics of) operations research, and more. Also, we study applications that range from data science via kidney exchange models to fairness, and more. As a new faculty member, you may strengthen the research in one of these existing topics and/or you may expand CO’s research portfolio.
The SPOR cluster
The CO group is part of the cluster Statistics, Probability and Operations Research (SPOR), which is part of the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science. The department operates from the vision that, for the development of innovative solutions to societal challenges, it is crucial to acquire a deep and solid understanding of the fundamentals of mathematics and computer science, while still embedding this knowledge in challenging application areas. SPOR is one of the clusters within the domain of mathematics and conducts theoretical and applied research in statistics, probability theory, operations research, and combinatorial optimization. The SPOR cluster is a vibrant research environment with an excellent collaborative spirit within and between subdisciplines.
The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
The department provides highly ranked bachelor and master-level programs in mathematics, computer science and data science. In fact, the Industrial and Applied Mathematics program won the prestigious 2022 UPS George Smith Prize, a world-wide recognition acknowledging its excellence in preparing students to become practitioners in industrial and applied mathematics. In addition to its educational role, the department conducts pioneering scientific research in mathematics, data science, and computer science.
- Motivated researcher with a PhD in mathematics, computer science, operations research or a comparable domain.
- Ability to conduct high-quality academic research reflected in demonstratable outputs.
- Ability to teach, demonstrated by experience or assistance in teaching. Informed vision on teaching and learning within your own discipline.
- Strong cooperation skills and ability to work in an interdisciplinary team.
- Effective communication and leadership skills, including coaching and mentoring of students and staff, leading a project or chairing a group.
- Excellent (written and verbal) proficiency in English.
Conditions of employment
A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university, in an interdisciplinary setting and within an international network. You will work on a beautiful, green campus within walking distance of the central train station. In addition, we offer you:
- A Tenure Track of five years with the prospect of becoming an Associate Professor. If you have a more senior profile, a tailor-made career proposal will be considered.
- The opportunity to focus your career on education, research or impact. You can develop your personal ambitions and objections within the strategic objectives of the university.
- As an Irène Curie Fellow, you are entitled to a substantial start-up package to kick-off your career.
- Salary in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- A year-end bonus of 8.3% and annual vacation pay of 8%.
- A dedicated mentoring program to help you get to know the university and the Dutch (research) environment.
- High-quality training programs for academic leadership and teaching.
- An excellent technical infrastructure, on-campus children’s day care and sports facilities.
- Partially paid parental leave and an allowance for commuting, working from home and internet costs.
- A Staff Immigration Team is available for international candidates, as are a tax compensation scheme (the 30% facility) and partner career support.
Information and application
Eindhoven University of Technology is an internationally top-ranking university in the Netherlands that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and a top-five position in collaborating with advanced industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow. We believe that diversity broadens our research scope and enhances the quality of our education. Our Irène Curie Fellowship aims to advance talented female researchers, in order to thrive and be successful in top positions in science, contributing to the societal goal of promoting equal opportunities. The program addresses the aspirations and needs of women in industry, academia, and research institutes in order to support their ambition to become a professor at our university.Curious to hear more about what it’s like as a professor at TU/e? Please view the video. Information
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? Please contact prof. dr. Frits Spieksma, f.c.r.spieksma[at]tue.nl.Visit our website for more information about the application process or the conditions of employment. You can also contact Hella Ploegmakers, Senior Recruiter, h.a.m.ploegmakers[at]tue.nl or +31 6 43559625.Are you inspired and would like to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit our career page.
We invite you to submit a complete application.The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of three references.
- Description of your scientific interests and plans (1-2 pages).
- Statement of your teaching goals and experience (1-2 pages).
We look forward to receiving your application and will screen it as soon as possible. The vacancy will remain open until the position is filled.
Mathematics and Computer Science
TU/e is a leading international university of technology specializing in Engineering Science & Technology. Through excellent teaching and research we contribute to progress in the technical sciences, to the development of technological innovations, and as a result to the growth of prosperity and welfare in the region and beyond.