We are looking for
We are looking for a data scientist with simulation modelling skills. Do you want to help to solve the complex challenges in the global food system? Are you a data scientist who is on top of the newest technologies? Do you know how to apply simulation technologies to societal problems? Are you able to develop models from conceptual ideas? We have a vacancy for a data scientist with modelling skills!
WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO You will be part of the research group that investigates the impacts of the changing food systems on food safety. You will contribute to different research projects. For example, you will research the impact that climate change has on the occurrence and spread of food safety hazards. Another example is modelling the impact that the circular economy has on food safety.
- Use a variety of modelling approaches whereby using different datasets, literature, and expert opinions to develop quantitative prediction models.
- Work in different ongoing research projects involving economic, epidemiological, biological modelling. Developed models will be applied to simulate the fate of food safety hazards, both chemical and zoonotic hazards, through the food system, to predict the presence of food safety hazards, and to prioritize the importance of food safety hazards to human health.
- Possibly contribute to the writing of new project proposals and of scientific publications.
- Help to answer scientific questions and provide insights to food safety authorities and other stakeholders we work with.
You will get an interesting and dynamic position as a modelling scientist, covering different food safety topics. You are part of a team of highly skilled, enthusiastic, multicultural, and engaged colleagues. Above all, you will work in an environment where you can develop your skills and learn from the best. Please note, in this role you will not be using machine learning technologies.
WHY? Our planet must produce more food in the next four decades than all farmers in history have harvested over the past 8,000 years! Multiple transitions are needed to achieve a sustainable, affordable, trustworthy and high-quality food system in the next decade or two that will fulfil the needs of a diverse and growing world population. We need to transit to more circular food systems and a biobased economy taking into account the changing climate. All these changes will have an impact on the current food system and on food safety. Food safety problems will occur at other places in the supply chain and new food safety problems are expected to appear. We should be prepared for such changes to support the safety of the food we consume.
Are you ready to join us and help to improve the safety of our food and thereby improving public health?
- A relevant MSc or PhD in for example food science, mathematics, computer science, data science, statistical modelling, industrial engineering or any other relevant background with interests in the food safety domain.
- Expertise with Excel, Python, R.
- Experience in quantitative analyses of complex time series data originating from different sources.
- Experience in simulation, epidemiological, biological, process-based and/or kinetic modelling.
- Good communications skills in English (C1 level), both written and verbally, and the ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams and projects.
- Good scientific writing skills, with a proven track record.
If you don’t speak Dutch yet, we expect the willingness to invest in learning the Dutch language. Off course we will support you with this. We have our own language institute Wageningen In’to Languages
Wageningen University & Research offers excellent terms of employment. A few highlights from our Collective Labour Agreement include:
- working hours that can be discussed and arranged so that they allow for the best possible work-life balance;
- the option to accrue additional compensation hours by working more, up to 40 hours per week;
- sabbatical leave, study leave, and partially paid parental leave;
- there is a strong focus on vitality and you can make use of the sports facilities available on campus for a small fee;
- a fixed December bonus of 4%;
- excellent pension scheme.
In addition to these first-rate employee benefits, you will of course receive a good salary. We offer, depending on your experience, a competitive gross salary of between €<3024> and €<4809> for a full-time working week of 36 hours, in accordance with the CLA Wageningen Research (scale 9 or 10).Wageningen University & Research encourages internal advancement opportunities and mobility with an internal recruitment policy. There are plenty of options for personal initiative in a learning environment, and we provide excellent training opportunities. We are offering a multi-faceted position in an international environment with a pleasant and open working atmosphere.
You are going to work at the greenest and most innovative campus in Holland, and at a university that has been chosen as the “Best University” in the Netherlands for the 17th consecutive time.
Coming from abroad Wageningen University & Research is the university and research centre for life sciences. The themes we deal with are relevant to everyone around the world and Wageningen, therefore, has a large international community and a lot to offer to international employees. Applicants from abroad moving to the Netherlands may qualify for a special tax relief, known as the 30% ruling. Our team of advisors on Dutch immigration procedures will help you with the visa application procedures for yourself and, if applicable, for your family.Feeling welcome also has everything to do with being well informed. Wageningen University & Research’s International Community page contains practical information about what we can do to support international employees and students coming to Wageningen. Furthermore, we can assist you with any additional advice and information about helping your partner to find a job, housing, schooling, and other issues.
For more information about this position, please contact Marloes Groenewegen, Teamleader Agrochains Team, telephone +31 6 42514331 or by e-mail Marloes.email@example.com.For more information about the procedure, please contact Rutger Voorrips, Recruiter, telephone +31 317 480571 or by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you want to apply? You can apply directly using the apply button on the vacancy page on our website which will allow us to process your personal information with your approval.
Don’t wait with your application. As soon as we have suitable candidates, we will start the first interviews. Please mention in your resume your modelling experience and technologies you have used.
Equal opportunities Wageningen University & Research (WUR) employs a large number of people with very different backgrounds and qualities, who inspire and motivate each other. We want every talent to feel at home in our organisation and be offered the same career opportunities. We therefore especially welcome applications from people who are underrepresented at WUR. For more information please go to our inclusivity page. A good example of how WUR deals with inclusiveness can be read on the page working at WUR with a functional impairment.
Wageningen University & Research The mission of Wageningen University and Research is “To explore the potential of nature to improve the quality of life”. Under the banner Wageningen University & Research, Wageningen University and the specialised research institutes of the Wageningen Research Foundation have joined forces in contributing to finding solutions to important questions in the domain of healthy food and living environment. With its roughly 30 branches, 6.800 employees and 12.900 students, Wageningen University & Research is one of the leading organisations in its domain. An integrated approach to problems and the cooperation between various disciplines are at the heart of Wageningen’s unique approach. WUR has been named Best Employer in the Education category for 2019-2020. Read the 5 reasons why your future colleagues enjoy working at WUR and watch this video to get an idea of our green campus! We will recruit for the vacancy ourselves, so no employment agencies please. However, sharing in your network is appreciated.