About NETWORKS and COFUND
The NETWORKS project is a collaboration of world-leading researchers from four institutions in The Netherlands: TU Eindhoven, University of Amsterdam, Leiden University and the Centrum Wiskunde & Informatica (CWI). Research in NETWORKS focuses on stochastics and algorithmics for network problems. NETWORKS offers a highly stimulating research environment and an extensive training program for PhD students and PostDocs.
For more detail please see infopackage on the NETWORKS website. https://www.thenetworkcenter.nl/uploaded_files/inlineitem/1Networks_Cofund_Infopackage_3rdcall_postdocs_2023.pdf
We are looking for a motivated excellent postdoc candidate in the field of random graphs and network science under supervision of Nelly Litvak. The project aims to mathematically predict performance and outcomes of algorithms for inference and control of real-life complex networks, such as social networks, mobility networks, and the World Wide Web. The analysis will mainly rely on recent methodological developments in the theory of random graphs. The algorithms of interest include, but are not limited, to clustering and community detection, ranking, epidemic containment, and graph embedding. While there is a lot of research on design, implementation and applications of such algorithms on real-world data, the problem of their rigorous mathematical analysis is much less addressed. Such rigorous analysis will shed light on applicability of the algorithms, and ensure the correct interpretation of their outcomes. The candidate will have significant freedom in defining their own specific research questions and methods.
We are looking for enthusiastic and motivated applicants with a background in mathematics (in particular stochastics) and an affinity for computer science, or with a background in computer science (in particular algorithms) with affinity for mathematics. You have strong analytical skills, are creative, are open to collaborations with a wide range or partners and are motivated to do top-level research in an interdisciplinary setting.
In order to be eligible, make sure you send your complete application before the deadline of the call. At the starting date of your employment as a postdoctoral fellow in the NETWORKS COFUND program, you should be in possession of a PhD degree or obtain one within three months. We focus on training researchers in the early stages after their PhD, so you have at most three years full-time post-PhD-degree research experience at the date of recruitment.
Moreover, you meet the mobility requirement of the MSCA, which encourages transnational, intersectoral and interdisciplinary mobility. The mobility requirement is: You may not have resided or carried out your main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the Netherlands for more than twelve months in the three years immediately before the call deadline.
Conditions of employment
- As a postdoctoral fellow in the NETWORKS-COFUND program, you will be appointed at the institution of your main supervisor (TU Eindhoven, University of Amsterdam, Leiden University, or CWI).
- Application deadline: March 31, 2023
- It concerns a position for two years in scale 10 (from €2,960 to €4,670 gross per month, based on a fulltime contract (38 hours a week)
- Location: the Netherlands (Amsterdam, Eindhoven, Leiden)
Information and application
Applications should be done through the online system available at the NETWORKS website. You should fill in the online application form and provide the following documents combined in one pdf, in English:
- A proposal (about 3-5 pages) with your research idea and main aim(s), briefly describing approach, methodology, challenges, originality, time table, required training, ethical issues, and potential societal use.
- A motivation letter that must, among other things, mention the research theme(s) you are interested in and/or the NETWORKS research groups or supervisors you would like to work with.
- A CV, a copy of your PhD degree and your PhD thesis.
- The names and email addresses of up to three references, who will be contacted by us for recommendation letters.
So, if you are interested in doing a PostDoc in stochastics or algorithms in the NETWORKS project, then have a look at our information package and apply via the apply button on this page. The deadline for applications is March 31, 2023.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
By applying, you commit to following the ethical principles and guidelines of the H2020 program of the European Commission; see the European Code of Conduct for Research Integrity.