Do you want to contribute to top quality medical research?
Are you eager to contribute to cutting-edge medical research?
The Department of Oncology-Pathology at Karolinska Institutet is seeking a postdoctoral fellow to collaborate with Dr. Rolny and her team in investigating the gene expression programs that regulate tumor-associated macrophage (TAM) phenotypes during tumor development. The department conducts fundamental, translational, and clinical research, as well as educational activities focused on cancer. Dr. Rolny’s research group has extensive experience in Immuno-Oncology, particularly in understanding the interplay between adaptive and innate immune cells and the surrounding stromal cells. The chosen candidate will have immediate access to Rony’s pre-clinical and clinical collaborators, as well as her extensive networks, including the Swedish Tumor Microenvironment Program and the Breast Cancer Theme Center. For more information about the groups, please visit .
The Rolny lab primarily investigates the mechanisms governing TAMs’ immunosuppressive and pro-metastatic functions. Over the years, Dr. Rolny and her team have provided evidence that reprogramming TAMs from a pro-tumor to an anti-tumor phenotype is a viable anti-cancer strategy. They have now identified a unique pathway that regulates TAMs’ pro-tumor functions, which may lead to the development of novel anti-cancer targets. We are seeking a motivated and creative postdoctoral candidate who is interested in exploring the drivers of TAMs’ pro-tumoral functions.
The studies will involve cutting-edge molecular biology techniques, animal tumor models, and patient material, with the ultimate goal of elucidating the signaling pathways that govern TAM functions. The postdoctoral fellow will take the lead in executing the proposed project according to established timelines and goals.
Scholarships for postdoctoral qualification can be established for foreign researchers who place their qualifications in Sweden. The purpose of scholarships for postdoctoral qualification is to promote internationalization and contribute to research qualification after a doctorate or equivalent.A scholarship for carrying out postdoctoral research can be granted for a maximum of two years within a four year period following the receipt of a doctoral degree or equivalent.To be eligible for a postdoctoral scholarship, the person must have obtained a doctorate or a foreign degree deemed to be equivalent to a doctorate. Applicants who have not completed a doctorate at the end of the application period may also apply, provided that all requirements for a completed degree are met before the (intended) start date of the post doctoral education.
The head of the department determines whether their previous training and scholarly qualifications correspond to a Swedish doctorate or higher.
- The ideal candidate is highly motivated, with an exceptional completed PhD thesis (or equivalent) and a strong commitment to a future research career.
- The candidate should possess the ability to generate novel ideas, independently acquire knowledge, and have sufficient computational skills to evaluate and develop ongoing projects.
- A background in tumor biology is preferred.
- Fluency in spoken and written English is required.
- To be considered, the applicant must have at least one publication in a high-quality international peer-reviewed journal, and additional academic achievements will also be taken into account.
- Due to the project’s scope, experience and expertise in animal work, flow cytometry analysis, and confocal microscopy imaging are necessary.
- Proficiency in common molecular biology techniques, such as gene cloning, lentivirus production, western blot analysis, and qPCR, is essential.
- Additionally, personal suitability will be considered during the selection process.
Type of scholarship
The amount is tax free and it is set for twelve months at a time, paid out on a six months basis. In exceptional cases, shorter periods may be acceptable.
An application must contain the following documents in English or Swedish:
- A complete curriculum vitae, including date of the thesis defence, title of the thesis, previous academic positions, academic title, current position, academic distinctions, and committee work
- A complete list of publications
- A summary of current work (no more than one page)
The application is to be submitted on the Varbi recruitment system latest 8th June.
Want to make a difference? Join us and contribute to better health for all
- First day of employment- Up on agreement
- Salary- semi anually
- Reference number- STÖD 21976/2023Contact
- Charlotte Rolny, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Helen Eriksson, OFR, email@example.com
- Henry Wölling, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Per Hydbring/Nick Tobin, Saco, email@example.comfirstname.lastname@example.org
Last application date
08.Jun.2023 11:59 PM CEST