A vacancy is available for a PhD student in the field of advanced characterization of alkaline water electrolysis within the group Sustainable Process Engineering at the Department of Chemical Engineering and Chemistry, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), The Netherlands.
- Position PhD-student
- Irène Curie Fellowship No
- Department(s) Chemical Engineering and Chemistry
- FTE 1,0
- Date off 15/09/2023
- Reference number V37.6784
The group sustainable process engineering (SPE) within the faculty of Chemistry & Chemical Engineering develops small scale, intensified and integrated systems for the distributed production of chemicals, with low impact and zero waste. We make use of alternative energy sources like light, electricity and bio-based sources, and we combine these in new reactors capable of continuous, high efficiency production of chemicals. More information can be found at: Sustainable Process Engineering (tue.nl).
Eurotech PhD position
The PhD position on advanced characterization of alkaline water electrolysis is a Eurotech (https://eurotech-universities.eu/) PhD position and is a collaboration with the DTU in Copenhagen. This means that the PhD student will spend at least 6 months at this university. The topic of the position is alkaline water electrolysis, which is a method to produce green hydrogen, an essential ingredient to decarbonize hard to abate sectors such as the chemical and the steel industry. In contrast to other water electrolysis technologies alkaline water electrolysis does not depend on scarcely available noble or rare earth metals and therefore seems particularly suitable for large scale application. Yet, green hydrogen produced by alkaline electrolysis is still relatively expensive and therefore there is a need to bring costs down. This can be achieved through development of new components (electrodes, membranes, substrates), but to properly evaluate these new components there is a need to have good characterization methods. A particularly powerful in-situ characterization technique is Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy (EIS), but this technique is not yet used to its full potential. Also, there is a need for accelerated stress testing protocols to quickly assess the potential of new materials.
The PhD position on advanced characterization of alkaline water electrolysis will be a combination of modeling activities and experimental activities. Modeling activities will include EIS-modeling and stack current distribution modeling, whereas experimental activities mainly focus on validation of the models and their application to existing and new materials.
We are looking for a talented, motivated and enthusiastic PhD student with a background in chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, applied physics or mathematics. We’re searching for an excellent candidate with proven capacities who recently finished his/her master (MSc) or will obtain his/her MSc soon. Knowledge, experience and a affinity with electrochemistry are appreciated. The candidate should have experience in modelling, but not necessarily for electrochemical systems. Strong modelling candidates without experimental experience are also invited to apply. Moreover, excellent communication skills in English are vital.
Conditions of employment
A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university, in an interdisciplinary setting and within an international network. You will work on a beautiful, green campus within walking distance of the central train station. In addition, we offer you:
- Full-time employment for four years, with an intermediate evaluation (go/no-go) after nine months. You will spend 10% of your employment on teaching tasks.
- Salary and benefits (such as a pension scheme, paid pregnancy and maternity leave, partially paid parental leave) in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, scale 27 (min. €2,541 max. €3,247).
- A year-end bonus of 8.3% and annual vacation pay of 8%.
- High-quality training programs and other support to grow into a self-aware, autonomous scientific researcher. At TU/e we challenge you to take charge of your own learning process.
- An excellent technical infrastructure, on-campus children’s day care and sports facilities.
- An allowance for commuting, working from home and internet costs.
- A Staff Immigration Team and a tax compensation scheme (the 30% facility) for international candidates.
Information and application
Eindhoven University of Technology is an internationally top-ranking university in the Netherlands that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and a top-five position in collaborating with advanced industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow. Curious to hear more about what it’s like as a PhD candidate at TU/e? Please view the video.
For more detailed information about this vacancy you can contact dr. M.T. de Groot (Thijs) e-mail: m.t.d.groot[at]tue.nl.
Are you inspired and would like to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit our career page.
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the apply button. The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of three references.
We look forward to receiving your application and will screen it as soon as possible. The vacancy will remain open until the position is filled.