Lund University, Faculty of Engineering,Electrical and Information Technology
Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top universities. The University has around 45 000 students and more than 8 000 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
Lund University welcomes applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We regard gender equality and diversity as a strength and an asset.
Description of the workplace
You will be working at the Department of Electrical and Information Technology, and primary in the divisions of Integrated Electronic Systems and Communications Engineering. These two divisions are closely working together to develop the next generation wireless systems, from theory to practice. The two doctoral students will be participating in the SSF CHI project “Large Intelligent Surfaces – Architecture and Hardware” and the ELLIIT project “Large Intelligent Surface testbed with remote Access”.
The area is the efficient hardware implementation of 6G wireless communication systems, including massive MIMO and large intelligent surfaces. The targeted hardware platforms include field programmable gate array (FPGA), software-defined radio (SDR), and radio-frequency system-on-chip (RF-SoC) platforms. The developed hardware will be used in real-life system-level testing and measurement campaigns.
The main duties of doctoral students are to devote themselves to their research studies which includes participating in research projects and third cycle courses. The work duties will also include teaching and other departmental duties (no more than 20%).
As doctoral student, you will contribute to the design, development, and the implementation of a 6G testbed, including the FPGA implementation of signal processing algorithms and interconnection protocols. The work duties also include software development for a 6G testbed.
A person meets the general admission requirements for third-cycle courses and study programmes if the applicant:
- has been awarded a second-cycle qualification, or
- has satisfied the requirements for courses comprising at least 240 credits of which at least 60 credits were awarded in the second cycle, or
- has acquired substantially equivalent knowledge in some other way in Sweden or abroad.
A person meets the specific admission requirements for third cycle studies in Electrical Engineering if the applicant has:
- at least 60 second-cycle credits in subjects of relevance to electrical engineering, or
- a MSc degree in biomedical engineering, computer science, electrical engineering, engineering mathematics, nanoengineering, engineering physics or information and communications engineering.
- Very good oral and written proficiency in English.
- Experience in design and implementation of digital integrated circuits.
- Knowledge in wireless communication systems, especially MIMO and Massive MIMO.
- Good knowledge in hardware (e.g., FPGA, RFSoC) implementation of digital signal processing algorithms and software-defined radios (SDR).
Selection for third-cycle studies is based on the student’s potential to profit from such studies. The assessment of potential is made primarily on the basis of academic results from the first and second cycle. Special attention is paid to the following:
- Knowledge and skills relevant to the thesis project and the subject of study.
- An assessment of ability to work independently and to formulate and tackle research problems.
- Written and oral communication skills.
- Other experience relevant to the third-cycle studies, e.g., professional experience.
Other assessment criteria:
- Experience with development tools for digital platforms (especially FPGA RFSoC, and SDR).
- Experience with development tools for wireless communication systems, implementation and prototyping, especially using PYNQ (Python for Zynq FPGA).
Consideration will also be given to good collaborative skills, drive and independence, and how the applicant, through experience and skills, is deemed to have the abilities necessary for successfully completing the third cycle programme.
Lund University is a public authority which means that employees get particular benefits, generous annual leave and an advantageous occupational pension scheme. Read more on the University website about being a Lund University employee Work at Lund University.
Terms of employment
Only those admitted to third cycle studies may be appointed to a doctoral studentship. Third cycle studies at LTH consist of full-time studies for 4 years. A doctoral studentship is a fixed-term employment of a maximum of 5 years (including 20% departmental duties). Doctoral studentships are regulated in the Higher Education Ordinance (1993:100), chapter 5, 1-7 §§.
How to apply
Applications shall be written in English and include a cover letter stating the reasons why you are interested in the position and in what way the research project corresponds to your interests and educational background. The application must also contain a CV, degree certificate or equivalent, and other documents you wish to be considered (grade transcripts, contact information for your references, letters of recommendation, etc.).
Welcome to apply!
LTH forms the Faculty of Engineering at Lund University, with approximately 9 000 students. The research carried out at LTH is of a high international standard and we are continuously developing our teaching methods and adapting our courses to current needs.
We kindly decline all sales and marketing contacts.
- Type of employment- Temporary position
- First day of employment- By agreement
- Salary- Monthly salary
- Number of positions- 2
- Full-time equivalent- 100%
- City- Lund
- County- Skåne län
- Country- Sweden
- Reference number- PA2023/1822
- Liang Liu, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ove Edfors, email@example.com
- SACO:Saco-s-rådet vid Lunds universitet, firstname.lastname@example.org
- SEKO: Seko Civil, 046-2229366
- OFR/ST:Fackförbundet ST:s kansli, 046-2229362
- Published- 24.May.2023
- Last application date- 30.Jun.2023 11:59 PM CEST