The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of future technologies, energy and climate, health innovation and fundamentals of nature. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2200 people.The Insertion Devices team is designing, building and operating undulators for the new diffraction limited storage ring SLS 2.0 and the Free Electron Laser SwissFEL beamlines. We are looking for a Scientist for Undulator Development
- Development of novel and compact undulators with variable polarisation for SLS 2.0
- Studies of advanced short-period undulators for the upcoming Porthos beamline at SwissFEL
- Contribution to the development of low and high temperature superconducting undulators
- Magnetic optimisation and undulator commissioning with electron beam in both SLS 2.0 and SwissFEL
- PhD degree in Physics or Electrical Engineering with knowledge in Applied Superconductivity
- Experience in Synchrotron Radiation and/or Accelerator Physics
- Hands on experience in Electromagnetic Simulations
- Excellent communication skills in English (additionally German as an advantage) and strong organisational skills to proactively interact with other groups, lead project teams and supervise students
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
This is a project position. The employment contract will be initially limited to three years.
For further information, please contact Dr Thomas Schmidt, phone +41 56 310 45 92 firstname.lastname@example.org.Please submit your application online by 19 February 2023 including list of publications and addresses of referees for the position as a Scientist (index no. 6511-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Elke Baumann, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland