- Position (Post-doctoral) Researcher
- Irène Curie Fellowship No
- Department(s) Electrical Engineering Institutes and others Eindhoven Hendrik Casimir Institute
- FTE 1,0
- Date off 30/06/2023
- Reference number V36.660
Would you like to perform excellent research in the field of integrated photonics and contribute to the rapid advances in this field? Do you want to push photonic components beyond their state-of-the-art in terms of speed and energy efficiency and address the technological challenges for that? Then you should read on and consider applying to this Postdoctoral Researcher position.
Today’s high-tech systems for Internet of Things (IoT), Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) and high-performance computing within datacenters are all based on various technologies, nodes, components with their underlying fabrication processes and material systems. Mixing and matching technologies that are best suited for the target application through heterogeneous integration becomes very attractive as such resulting systems can provide an extended set of functionalities at high performance, small form-factor and increased energy efficiency. Integrated Photonics is one of the key enabling technologies for high-speed, low-loss information transport and processing and poised to play a big role in the more than Moore paradigm shift.
The Photonics Integration (PHI) group performs leading edge research into indium phosphide semiconductor based technology for photonic integration and its applications. You will become part of the group, contributing to the heterogeneous and nanophotonic integration research lines and be involved in a number of national and international research projects.
Figure 1: Photonic integrated circuits on a semiconductor wafer.
This position is part of the HiCONNECTS (Heterogeneous Integration for Connectivity and Sustainability) project within the EU Key Digital Technologies Joint Undertaking framework. HiCONNECTS aims to support major societal and industrial challenges by developing heterogenous integration (HI) core technology solutions for energy-efficient and high-performance wireless/wired cloud and edge computing as well as automotive radar to solve two of the main state-of-the-art roadblocks: the transmission of Internet of Things (IoT) data over the IT network and sensing of objects to enable Highly Automated Driving (HAD). The role of TU/e in the project is to research novel data processing in edge computing, improve integration technology and perform testing of heterogeneously integrated electronic and photonic components.
You will be working together with other researchers in the EE department (ECO and IC group) to develop and realize highly efficient, ultra-fast optical transmitters on an InP membrane platform that are suitable to be heterogeneously integrated with driving electronics.
You will get familiar with the existing integration platforms and processes, advance and extend those to enable a new class of 100 GHz components. Within the project, you will be challenged on both design and technology. On the design side, you will take our existing know-how forward and propose a modulator design on InP membrane capable to reach 100 GHz bandwidth. On the technology side you will dive into the active-passive integration and membrane heterogenous integration technologies developed in the PHI group. Concrete challenges include:
- Optical and RF optimization of the modulator structure on an insulated membrane, with the aim of a low Vpi, high bandwidth modulator.
- Optimization of full active-passive integration process for high laser power and electro-optic modulation efficiency.
- Realizing broadband metallization processes with reduced parasitics and accurate dimension control.
- Gain insights into high-speed, fabrication-robust device designs.
Using the university’s elite cleanroom facilities, you will be able to realize novel concepts and components for proof-of-concept. You are expected to closely collaborate with other researchers and efforts in the group for high-speed, energy-efficient TRx components. Furthermore, within the HiConnect project, you will interact with a wide range of other EU partners in order to advance heterogeneous integration technology to the next level.
The newly established Eindhoven Hendrik Casimir Institute (EHCI) has the goal to bring together photonics, electronics and quantum technology and drives exponential computing, communication and sensing technologies, to enable a sustainable information society. You will be part of the EHCI focus area on High-bandwidth & energy-efficient optical interconnects and your work will benefit from and bring synergy to other researchers within the institute.
- We are looking for a candidate with a recent PhD degree in Photonics, Optics, Electrical Engineering, applied physics or a similar field.
- The candidate should have experience with semiconductor component and/or high-speed photonic component design and optimization.
- Experience in micro-/nanofabrication and knowledge about photonic circuit fabrication are of strong advantage.
- The candidate should have a strong affinity with experimental work and be able to conduct research independently.
- The candidate should be a team player and be able to work in a dynamic, interdisciplinary context.
If you are concerned that you don’t meet all the requirements sufficiently, but the job does excite you, then be sure to respond, we would love to look at your profile.
Conditions of employment
The position is for one year first with the intention to extend to three years depending on work performance. An exciting position within an international yet personal university. You are right in the middle of the students, on a green campus within walking distance of the central station. Besides beautiful architecture, you will find varied workplaces and excellent sports facilities. We also offer you:
- Salary in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, scale 10.
- In addition a year-end bonus of 8.3% and annual vacation pay of 8%.
- High-quality training programs on general skills, didactics and topics related to research and valorization.
- An excellent technical infrastructure, on-campus children’s day care and sports facilities.
- Partially paid parental leave and an allowance for commuting, working from home and internet costs.
- A TU/e Postdoc Association that helps you to build a stronger and broader academic and personal network, and offers tailored support, training and workshops.
- A Staff Immigration Team is available for international candidates, as are a tax compensation scheme (the 30% facility) and a compensation for moving expenses.
- Working hours in consultation for an optimal work-life balance.
- Scope for your talent with advancement prospects and excellent development opportunities such as mentoring, workshops and coaching.
- Partially paid parental leave and reimbursement for commuting expenses, working from home and the internet.
- A generous employer contribution to the favorable ABP pension plan.
Here you can discover even more information about our conditions of employment. Build on your career at TU/e!
Information and application
TU/e is a leading international university that educates engineers of the future and pushes the boundaries of science and technology for a better world. An international community of over 4,000 employees and more than 12,000 students work and study on the vibrant and inspiring campus.
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? Please contact Weiming Yao, email w.yao[at]tue.nl, Yuqing Jiao, email Y.Jiao[at]tue.nl. Visit our website for more information about the application process or the conditions of employment. You can also contact HR Services Flux, email HRServices.flux[at]tue.nl.
Are you inspired and would like to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit our career page.
If you are interested, please use the ‘apply’ button to send us your CV and letter of application with your motivation and a description of your qualifications.
Screening of candidates begins as soon as applications are received and continues until the position is filled. Where applicable, internal candidates will be given priority over external candidates where they are equally suitable.
We look forward to receiving your application!