We are seeking a highly motivated and talented Ph.D. student to work on the European Commission-funded ASAP project, which aims to develop a computing platform for machine learning algorithms that can operate onboard spacecraft under space conditions. The successful candidate will be responsible for identifying the requirements for a computing platform prototype for Machine Learning in space and leading the communication and dissemination efforts for the ASAP and Plasma-PEPSC projects.
The Ph.D student will work closely with a team of researchers on the ASAP project and have access to state-of-the-art facilities and equipment.If you are passionate about computer science, machine learning and space technology and you are interested in contributing to the development of cutting-edge hardware platforms for space applications, we encourage you to apply for this exciting Ph.D. position.
Third-cycle subject: Computer Science
Supervision: Associate Professor Stefano Markidis
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world.Read more
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH’s Doctoral student salary agreement.
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Work and study in Stockholm, close to nature and the water.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH.
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a second cycle degree (for example a master’s degree), or
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 second-cycle higher education credits, or
- acquired, in some other way within or outside the country, substantially equivalent knowledge
In addition, advanced knowledge of C or C++ programming languages is required.
In addition to the above, there is also a mandatory requirement for English equivalent to English B/6, read more here
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach,
- analyse and work with complex issues,
- design and develop a C or C++ code for scientific applications and
- design a continuous integration and deployment workflow for scientific simulations.
The applicant has a strong background in computer science or a related field with knowledge of machine learning algorithms and their implementation on hardware platforms.
The candidate must also be willing to learn about space physics and plasma physics, as well as to work in an interdisciplinary team.
Furthermore, the candidate must show excellent communication skills, including the ability to lead communication and dissemination efforts for the ASAP and Plasma-PEPSC projects
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ‘ time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time. In the case of studies that are to be completed with a licentiate degree, the total period of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education for two years.
Contact information KTH’s website.
Doctoral section (Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
Contact information section’s website.
Apply for the position and admission through KTH’s recruitment system. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
Applications must include:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above). Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages.Copies of originals must be certified.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing, recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy. Read more here
- Type of employment- Temporary position
- Contract type- Full time
- First day of employment- According to agreement
- Salary- Monthly salary according to KTH’s doctoral student salary agreement
- Number of positions- 1
- Full-time equivalent- 100%
- City- Stockholm
- County- Stockholms län
- Country- Sweden
- Reference number- J-2023-1152
- Associate Professor Stefano Markidis, email@example.com
- Lisa Olsson HR officer, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Published- 11.May.2023
- Last application date- 06.Jul.2023 11:59 PM CEST