Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top universities. The University has around 45 000 students and more than 8 000 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
Lund University welcomes applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We regard gender equality and diversity as a strength and an asset.
We are looking for a highly motivated Postdoctoral fellow to improve estimates, modelling and forecasting of anthropogenic CO2 emissions of European cities and to support the city’s efforts in emission reductions. The position is embedded in two projects: the EU project PAUL, also known as ICOS Cities, and JACOBIAn, a project funded by Lund University’s Strategic Research Areas.
ICOS Cities: combines innovative measurement and modelling approaches of greenhouse gas emissions in densely populated urban areas. The project supports the European Green Deal and aims at developing useful tools and services for cities in support of their climate action plans.
JACOBIAn – Joint Atmospheric transport modelling of CO2 and Black carbon for Improved CO2 source allocation, aims at estimating anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions by using black carbon (BC) observations as a proxy to determine the level of anthropogenic CO2 emissions in Europe.
The overall goal of this Postdoc project is to extend and evaluate the existing and widely used flux footprint model FFP (Kljun et al. 2004, 2015) for applications in the urban landscape.
The position offers collaboration and exchange with an enthusiastic and interdisciplinary team from international partner institutions within ICOS cities, at University of Innsbruck and at Lund University, that cover a broad range of expertise from atmospheric dynamics, inverse modelling techniques, Large Eddy Simulation, experimental flux measurements, emission inventory modelling, to air pollution and aerosol modelling.
The main duties involved in a post-doctoral posistion is to conduct research. Teaching may also be included, but up to no more than 20% of working hours. The position shall include the opportunity for three weeks of training in higher education teaching and learning.
Detailed description of the work duties:
- Research within the subject area
- Publishing results in high-quality journals
- Attending international project meetings and conferences
- Possibilities of teaching and supervision at undergraduate or graduate level
- Possibilities to be involved in applications for additional external funding and to develop own research interests
- Administration related to the work duties listed above.
Appointment to a post-doctoral position requires that the applicant has a PhD, or an international degree deemed equivalent to a PhD, within the subject of the position, completed no more than three years before the date of employment decision. Under special circumstances, the doctoral degree can have been completed earlier.
- PhD in Environmental Science, Physical Geography, Computational Physics, Applied Physics, Informatics, or a closely related field within Natural Sciences
- Excellent knowledge about the atmosphere (specifically the planetary boundary layer, meteorology, atmospheric fluid dynamics)
- Demonstrated proficiency in programming languages: Matlab, Python, and/or Fortran
- A publication record commensurate with the career stage
- Proficiency in both written and spoken English
- Excellent communication skills, ability to work in a team but also independently, and to complete activities on time
Assessment criteria and other qualifications
This is a career development position primarily focused on research. The position is intended as an initial step in a career, and the assessment of the applicants will primarily be based on their research qualifications and potential as researchers. Particular emphasis will be placed on research skills within the subject.
For appointments to a post-doctoral position, the following shall form the assessment criteria:
- A good ability to develop and conduct high quality research.
- Teaching skills.
- Demonstrated skills in handling and analysis of large datasets
- Demonstrated experience in Machine Learning techniques
- Experience in dispersion modelling
- Experience in numerical analysis and/or geospatial statistics
- Experience in trace gas observation techniques and greenhouse gas flux analysis
- Problem solving, organisational and analytical skills
Consideration will also be given to good collaborative skills, drive and independence, and how the applicant’s experience and skills complement and strengthen ongoing research within the department, and how they stand to contribute to its future development.
Terms of employment
This is a full-time, fixed-term employment of 2 years (with a possibility to extend to 3 years). The period of employment is determined in accordance with the agreement “Avtal om tidsbegränsad anställning som postdoktor” (“Agreement on fixed-term employment as a post-doctoral fellow”) between Lund University, SACO-S and OFR/S, dated 1st February 2022.
Instructions on how to apply
Applications shall be written in English and be compiled into a PDF-file containing:
- Résumé/CV, including a list of publications
- General description of past research and future research interests (max 2 pages)
- Contact information of at least two references
Copy of the doctoral degree certificate, and other certificates/grades that you wish to be considered. Please do NOT send original documents
The Faculty of Science conducts research and education within Biology, Astronomy, Physics, Geosciences, Chemistry, Mathematics and Environmental Science. The Faculty is organized into eight departments, gathered in the northern campus area. The Faculty has approximately 1500 students, 330 PhD students and 700 employees.
The Centre for Environmental and Climate Science, CEC (http://www.cec.lu.se) conducts research, education and communication on environmental science and climate research at Lund University.
We kindly decline all sales and marketing contacts.
- Type of employment- Temporary position
- Contract type- Full time
- First day of employment- As soon as possible/ According to the agreement
- Salary- Monthly
- Number of positions- 1
- Full-time equivalent- 100
- City- Lund
- County- Skåne län
- Country- Sweden
- Reference number- PA2023/2100
- Natascha Kljun, +46462224731
Last application date
31.Aug.2023 11:59 PM CEST