Are you interested in the development of cutting-edge heat storage materials with optimized composite architecture? Do you have experience and skills in microfluidics, materials synthesis, or heat transfer studies? Then one of these Ph.D. projects may be the perfect opportunity for you to make a significant impact in the field of energy storage.
- HOURS- 40 hr.
- SALARY INDICATION- Salary gross/monthlybased on full-time€ 2,541 – € 3,247
- DEADLINE- 25 Sep 2023
As part of the innovative MICRO-HS project, we are offering two exciting Ph.D. positions that will delve into the forefront of research in thermal engineering and materials science. Join our interdisciplinary team and take on the challenge of pushing the boundaries of heat storage technology for shaping a sustainable future.
These positions are part of Micro-HS project, recently funded by NWO (Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research), focused on “Using Microfluidics to develop stable Thermochemical Materials (TCMs) for Heat Storage”. The project is a collaboration between University of Twente and industrial partners. You will be based in a team with outstanding academic performance (as reflected by our publications in impactful journals), a strong industrial network, and a pleasant, collaborative atmosphere.
PhD Position 1: Additive Manufacturing of Heat Storage Materials with Optimized Composite Architecture
We are seeking a passionate and talented individual to take on the role of developing heat storage materials using advanced additive manufacturing techniques. This position offers a unique opportunity to be at the forefront of research in the field of materials science. Your focus will be on analyzing and developing a fluidic process for additive manufacturing, to create composite materials with optimized architecture. You will encapsulate salts within flexible and breathable polymer capsules, leveraging cutting-edge technology to prevent salt agglomeration. You will then stack these capsules, to create macroscopically porous materials with integrated high energy density, enhanced diffusion of water vapor, and efficient heat transfer. Your innovative contributions will lead to the fabrication of a new generation of composite TCMs with unparalleled power output and exceptional hydrothermal and cyclic stabilities.
- A Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Applied physics, Materials Science, or a related discipline.
- Familiarity with (additive) manufacturing techniques or microfluidics is highly advantageous, especially in the context of composite materials for heat storage applications.
- Experience in materials synthesis and characterization.
- Understanding of fluid mechanics, heat transfer, and reaction kinetics in complex systems.
PhD Position 2: Characterization and Optimization of Heat Storage Material
We are seeking a motivated and skilled candidate to join our MICRO-HS project as a Ph.D. researcher with a focus on the characterization and optimization of heat storage materials. In this role, you will play a crucial part in advancing the performance and stability of composite TCMs.
Your primary responsibility will be to conduct comprehensive characterization studies on the core-shell structures and macroscopically porous materials developed through additive manufacturing. By employing a combined approach of experimental techniques and modeling, you will analyze and understand new aspects of the thermal behavior, diffusion rates, and reaction kinetics within novel composite materials. Your findings will be instrumental in optimizing the composite architecture, enhancing heat and mass transfer capabilities, and achieving unparalleled power output in the heat storage materials.
- A Master’s degree in physical chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering, or a related discipline.
- Strong expertise in experimental techniques for heat transfer and reaction kinetics studies.
- Familiarity with materials characterization methods such as DSC (Differential Scanning Calorimetry), TGA (Thermogravimetric Analysis), and other relevant techniques.
- Proficiency in numerical modeling and simulation is beneficial.
- Full-time 4-year PhD positions;
- A dynamic, high-quality, and collaborative research environment with state-of-the-art facilities in a cutting-edge research environment;
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth within the interdisciplinary field of energy storage;
- An opportunity to make significant contributions to the fast-moving field of innovative heat storage materials with real-world applications;
- A professional and personal development program within Graduate School Twente;
- A starting salary of € 2.541 in the first year and a salary of € 3.247 in the fourth year gross per month;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- A solid pension scheme;
- A minimum of 29 holidays per year in case of full-time employment;
- A dynamic and international environment, combining the benefits of academic research with a topic of high industrial relevance;
- Excellent working conditions, an exciting scientific environment, and a green and lively campus.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
To apply for either of these positions, please submit the following documents before the application deadline of September 25th:
- Curriculum Vitae (including contact information for at least two academic references).
- Title and abstract of your Master’s project/thesis.
- A motivation letter (maximum one page) outlining your interest in the specific position and the MICRO-HS project.
- Transcript of records from your Bachelor and Master’s programs.
For more information about these positions or the MICRO-HS project, please contact Dr. Mina Shahi at ( email@example.com), or Dr. C.W. Visser (firstname.lastname@example.org ).
The first round of interviews is scheduled between October 25th and November 15th. A possible second round of interviews will be scheduled when needed. We look forward to receiving your application and welcoming you to our team.
ABOUT THE ORGANISATION
The Faculty of Engineering Technology (ET) engages in education and research of Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering. We enable society and industry to innovate and create value using efficient, solid and sustainable technology. We are part of a ‘people-first’ university of technology, taking our place as an internationally leading center for smart production, processes and devices in five domains: Health Technology, Maintenance, Smart Regions, Smart Industry and Sustainable Resources. Our faculty is home to about 2,900 Bachelor’s and Master’s students, 550 employees and 150 PhD candidates. Our educational and research programmes are closely connected with UT research institutes Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Center and Digital Society Institute.
WANT TO KNOW MORE
SHAHI, M. (MINA)ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR
Do you have questions about this vacancy? Then you can contact Mina for all substantive questions about this position and the application procedure. For general questions about working for the UT, please refer to the chatbot.