- Position- Assistant Professor
- Irène Curie Fellowship- Yes
- Department(s)- Mathematics and Computer Science
- FTE- 1,0
- Date off- 08/03/2023
- Reference number- V32.6163
Are you an enthusiastic researcher with a proven track record in the area of networked embedded systems with a special emphasis on resource management, orchestration, and optimization? Would you like to contribute to the challenging field of interconnected intelligent systems? You may be the candidate we are looking for.
The Interconnected Resource-aware Intelligent Systems (IRIS) cluster at the department of Mathematics and Computer Science has a vacancy for an assistant professor addressing resource management and orchestration challenges in (AI-enabled) distributed embedded systems at the level of microcontrollers, wireless networks, and edge-fog-cloud paradigms. Research focus of the IRIS cluster is on distributed (embedded) systems and their performance challenges in terms of scalability, reliability, dependability, programmability, timing behavior, robustness, accuracy, energy and data computation efficiency, and trustworthiness.
Research of the IRIS cluster is being performed in the context of various application domains including automotive, smart industry, predictive maintenance, logistics, smart cities, health and wellbeing, and intelligent lighting. The industrial applications and collaborations inspire IRIS in its research and ensure that its research outcome remains as close as possible to real-world problems and has economic and societal impacts.
In the context of this vacancy, you are expected to:
- Perform outstanding research in the area of resource management for single/multi-core microcontrollers, IoT networks (edge, fog, cloud), and distributed streaming systems;
- Yeach relevant courses in the area of operating systems, real-time systems, and IoT;
- Initiate, acquire, and coordinate research projects;
- Strengthen industrial collaborations of the cluster;
- Supervise BSc, MSc, PhD and EngD students;
- Establish research collaborations both within TU/e and (inter)nationally;
- Contribute to research and teaching visions of the cluster, department, and TU/e.
We are looking for a candidate who adds value to the IRIS cluster and matches the following profile:
- PhD degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or Mathematics with a strong publication record and outstanding research achievements and other indicators of international recognition such as invited talks and membership in PC, TPC, and/or editorial boards;
- At least 2-3 years of work experience after obtaining PhD;
- Successful experience in acquiring external research funding from (inter)national funding agencies and/or industry;
- Clear research and teaching visions;
- Fully capable of teaching Operating Systems (BSc level) and Real-time Systems (MSc level) courses;
- Affinity with applying research results to real-world problems and applying mathematic models to the field of computation;
- Successful experience in supervising PhD students as main/daily supervisor;
- Proven didactic skills and teaching experience (demonstrated by having a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ, or its equivalent) and/or detailed teaching track record provided in CV;
Excellent communication (written and verbal proficiency in English), organization, leadership, and collaboration skills to be able to work in an interdisciplinary team.
Conditions of employment
A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university, in an interdisciplinary setting and within an international network. You will work on a beautiful, green campus within walking distance of the central train station. In addition, we offer you:
- The opportunity to focus your career on education, research or impact. You can develop your personal ambitions and objections within the strategic objectives of the university.
- As an Irène Curie Fellow, you are entitled to a substantial start-up package to kick-off your career.
- Salary in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- A year-end bonus of 8.3% and annual vacation pay of 8%.
- A dedicated mentoring program to help you get to know the university and the Dutch (research) environment.
- High-quality training programs for academic leadership and teaching.
- An excellent technical infrastructure, on-campus children’s day care and sports facilities.
- Partially paid parental leave and an allowance for commuting, working from home and internet costs.
A Staff Immigration Team is available for international candidates, as are a tax compensation scheme (the 30% facility) and partner career support.
Information and application
Eindhoven University of Technology is an internationally top-ranking university in the Netherlands that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and a top-five position in collaborating with advanced industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow. Curious to hear more about what it’s like as an assistant professor at TU/e? Please view the video.
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more about the IRIS cluster? Please visit https://iris.win.tue.nl
Visit our website for more information about the application process or the conditions of employment. You can also contact Hella Ploegmakers, Senior Recruiter, h.a.m.ploegmakers[at]tue.nl or +31 6 43559625.Are you inspired and would like to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit our career page.
This vacancy is part of the Irène Curie Fellowship and is currently only open to female candidates.
We invite you to submit a complete application. The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for this specific position.
- Curriculum vitae, including your publications list highlighting five self-selected ‘best publications’ and their added value to the field of resource management and orchestration in networked embedded systems.
- Description of your scientific interests and plans, and their relation to resource management and orchestration (1-2 pages).
- Statement of your teaching goals and experience (with a special emphasis on Operating Systems and Real-time Systems courses) (1-2 pages).
- 2 recent recommendation letters.
We look forward to receive your complete application with all requested documents, we will screen it as soon as possible.
Mathematics and Computer Science
TU/e is a leading international university of technology specializing in Engineering Science & Technology. Through excellent teaching and research we contribute to progress in the technical sciences, to the development of technological innovations, and as a result to the growth of prosperity and welfare in the region and beyond.