EPFL, the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne, is one of the most dynamic university campuses in Europe and ranks among the top 20 universities worldwide. The EPFL employs more than 6,000 people supporting the three main missions of the institutions: education, research and innovation. The EPFL campus offers an exceptional working environment at the heart of a community of more than 16,000 people, including over 12,000 students and 4,000 researchers from more than 120 different countries.Postdoc position (100%) at the Laboratory of Cryospheric Sciences, EPFL SionYour mission :The Laboratory of Cryospheric Sciences (CRYOS) is looking for a postdoctoral researcher in the area of Sustainable Development of Urban and Peri-Urban environments. Within a large research project of the ETH domain, which studies the development of urban infrastructure towards climate-neutral, sustainable and resource-optimized operation, we are building an urban twin, which includes political and socio-economic aspects of change. Your specific task is on the potential renewable energy generation (wind and solar) in an urban context as well as studying the impact of climate change. You contribute within a large consortium to the urban twin digital infrastructure and collaborate with your colleagues from different disciplines in particular also with those that manage urban water resources.
CRYOS forms part of EPFL’s new Alpine and Polar Environments Research Centre (ALPOLE) in Sion.The mission of the ALPOLE research center is to address key challenges related to environmental change in Alpine and Polar regions undergoing rapid and unprecedented transformations.
Main duties and responsibilities include :
- Research into optimal use and installation of renewable energy generators (solar and wind) in an urban setting;
- Research on anticipated changes of renewable potential as a consequence of climate change and urban development;
- Contribution to the “urban twin” numerical model development with a focus on testing scenarios.
Your profile :
- PhD in engineering, meteorology or environmental sciences;
- Experience in renewable energy, boundary layer processes and climate change;
- Strong motivation for applied research and implementation;
- Strong computational and analytical skills, as well as experience handling large datasets;
- Good interpersonal skills, team player;
- Good knowledge of English and at least one Swiss national language (written and spoken).
We offer :
- A dynamic and interdisciplinary research group;
- A vibrant, internationally visible and rising academic institution in alpine and polar environments research;
- A great working atmosphere and ample opportunities for professional and personal development with access to many continuing education courses.
Start date :May 1, 2023. (Possibility to start earlier)
Term of employment :Fixed-term (CDD)
Duration :3 years.
Contact :For more information, please contact Prof. Michael Lehning: email@example.com.
Remark : Only candidates who applied through EPFL website or our partner Jobup’s website will be considered. Files sent by agencies without a mandate will not be taken into account.
Reference : Job Nb 2661