Do you want to contribute to top quality medical research?
Within our research group you will find a unique opportunity to work closely together with cutting edge researchers in the intersection between infectious diseases, bacteriology, antimicrobial therapy, antimicrobial immunity, and pathogenesis. We offer an engaging and international research environment where you may contribute to high quality research on an internationally competitive level.
Our research group has a strong focus on pathogenesis, immunity, and treatment in bacterial and viral infections. Of special interest is our interest in the interaction between microbiota and human disease including antimicrobial therapy. The experimental research of the present position is focused on in vitro and ex vivo evaluation of microbiota, therapeutic effects, and the impact of organ function. More details will be given in interview to selected applicants.
The successful applicant will perform his/her tasks in the experimental research group of Prof. Anders Sönnerborg. The main working tasks will be on evaluation of microbiota, their secreted products, and modulation by drug compounds. This includes extensive in vitro, and ex vivo experiments including both wet- and drylab. The applicant will perform their research within the framework of Prof. Anders Sönnerborg’s and Dr. Shilpa Ray´s projects and is also expected to give intellectual and administrative support to other members of the research group.
To be eligible for employment as a postdoctor a doctoral degree or a foreign degree deemed to be equivalent to a doctoral degree is required. This eligibility requirement must be fulfilled at the latest at the time of the employment decision. It is considered as an advantage if you have completed your doctoral degree within the last three years, if there are special reasons, your degree may have been completed earlier.
After an overall assessment of the expertise and merits of the applicants in relation to the subject area, Karolinska Institutet will determine which of them has the best potential to contribute to a positive development of the activities at KI.
It is particularly meritorious that the applicant has shown:
- Several years wet-lab experience in microbiological work.
- Expertise on a broad range of microbiology and molecular biology techniques
- Significant knowledge in biology with a focus on bacteriology and the pathogenesis of bacterial diseases.
- Experience with fastidious bacteria/ anaerobic bacteria
- Knowledge in antimicrobial resistance with special focus on antibacterial resistance.
- Experience in setting up bacteriological assays to evaluate antibacterial efficacy and host responses.
- Assessment of bacterial survival via infection assays in vitro
- Experience of research in BSL-2 laboratory facilities
- Experience in human gastrointestinal microbiota and host-bacterial interaction
- Expert in cell culture and primary cell culture techniques
- Experience in standard molecular biology techniques, such as DNA/RNA isolation from tissues or cells, PCR, quantitative PCR, cloning, SDS PAGE, western blotting ELISA, immunofluorescence, immunoprecipitation.
- Excellent knowledge in English, written and spoken, is a requirement.
- Good collaboration skills and ability to operate independently.
- Good communication skills and ability to interact effectively and work productively in a team of researchers.
- The person should be well organized, service-oriented, and flexible.
It is meritorious that the applicant has shown:
- Experience in in vivo handling of animal models for bacterial infection is an advantage.
- Experience in NGS-based microbial community analysis.
- Experience with flow cytometry techniques and data analysis
- Experience of teaching students
- Experience of collaboration with clinical researchers
- A publication list with first author publications in international peer-reviewed journals.
- Own grants received in competition after peer-review.
What do we offer?
A creative and inspiring environment with wide-ranging expertise and interests. Karolinska Institutet is one of the world’s leading medical universities. At Karolinska Institutet, we conduct successful medical research and hold the largest range of medical education in Sweden. At KI, you get to meet researchers working with a wide range of specialisms and methods, giving you ample opportunity to exchange knowledge and experience with the various scientific fields within medicine and health. It is the crossover collaborations, which have pushed KI to where it is today, at the forefront of global research. Several of the people you meet in healthcare are educated at KI. A close relationship with the health care providers is important for creating groundbreaking top quality education and research. Karolinska Institutet is also a state university, which entitles you to several benefits through our collective agreement.
The Department of Medicine, Huddinge (MedH)
Infectious Diseases and Dermatology Unit
Choose to work at KI – Ten reasons why
An employment application must contain the following documents in English or Swedish:
- A complete resumé, including date of the thesis defence, title of the thesis, previous academic positions, academic title, current position, academic distinctions, and committee work
- A complete list of publications
- A summary of current work (no more than one page)
Welcome to apply at the latest 2023-06-05.
The application is to be submitted through the Varbi recruitment system.
Want to make a difference? Join us and contribute to better health for all
- Type of employment- Temporary position
- Contract type- Full time
- First day of employment- According to agreement
- Salary- Monthly
- Number of positions- 1
- Full-time equivalent- 100%
- City- Flemingsberg
- County- Stockholms län
- Country- Sweden
- Reference number- STÖD 2-1996/2023
- Anders Sönnerborg, email@example.com
- Belinda Pannagel, SACO, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sidinh Luc, SACO, email@example.com
- Mari Gilljam, OFR, firstname.lastname@example.org
Last application date
05.Jun.2023 11:59 PM CEST