- Position – PhD-student
- Irène Curie Fellowship – No
- Department(s) – Mathematics and Computer Science
- FTE – 1,0
- Date off – 18/06/2023
- Reference number – V32.6636
The Interconnected Resource-aware Intelligent Systems (IRIS) at the Eindhoven University of Technology has the following Ph.D. position on developing traffic monitoring using programmable networks. Within this position, we will investigate developing network monitoring algorithms and mechanisms in programmable networks, e.g., P4, and eBPF, to get more insights from the network traffic. The obtained insights will be used to optimize the performance of datacenter and cloud networks. Particular attention will be paid to reducing latency, improving network visibility, and increasing bandwidth utilization.
The successful candidate for the PhD position is expected to:
- Perform scientific research in the domain of programmable networks and resource management.
- Publish results at high-quality venues.
- Collaborate with other group and faculty members.
- Collaborate with selected academic and industrial partners.
- Assist with educational tasks (e.g., supervise (under)graduate students and lab/course assignments).
- You have a master degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or a related field.
- You have a strong background in computer networking and are familiar with distributed network applications. Ideally, you have experience with network management/operations and networking stacks.
- You have good programming skills and experience (C, C++, Java, Python). Experience with network simulation with NS3 is a plus.
- You have good communication skills and are eager to work as part of a research team.
- You are creative and ambitious, hard-working and persistent.
- You have good command of the English language (knowledge of Dutch is not required).
Conditions of employment
A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university, in an interdisciplinary setting and within an international network. You will work on a beautiful, green campus within walking distance of the central train station. In addition, we offer you:
- Full-time employment for four years, with an intermediate evaluation (go/no-go) after nine months. You will spend 10% of your employment on teaching tasks.
- Salary and benefits (such as a pension scheme, paid pregnancy and maternity leave, partially paid parental leave) in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, scale 27 (min. €2,541 max. €3,247).
- A year-end bonus of 8.3% and annual vacation pay of 8%.
- High-quality training programs and other support to grow into a self-aware, autonomous scientific researcher. At TU/e we challenge you to take charge of your own learning process.
- An excellent technical infrastructure, on-campus children’s day care and sports facilities.
- An allowance for commuting, working from home and internet costs.
- A Staff Immigration Team and a tax compensation scheme (the 30% facility) for international candidates.
Information and application
Eindhoven University of Technology is an internationally top-ranking university in the Netherlands that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and a top-five position in collaborating with advanced industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow. Curious to hear more about what it’s like as a PhD candidate at TU/e? Please view the video.
For questions regarding this position, you can send an email to dr. Habib Mostafaei (h.mostafaei[at]tue.nl) with email subject “PhD position in programmable networks”.
Visit our website for more information about the application process or the conditions of employment. You can also contact HR Services (HRServices.MCS[attue.nl).Are you inspired and would like to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit our career page.
This vacancy will be listed until a suitable candidate is found. We will start selecting applications starting June 1st, 2023.
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the apply button.The application should include a:
- Cover letter describing your motivation, scientific interests, and qualifications for the position (generic letters will be rejected).
- Detailed CV incl. publication list.
- MSc and BSc transcripts.
- 2 recent recommendation letters.
Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered and will be rejected without evaluation.
We look forward to receiving your application and will screen it as soon as possible. The vacancy will remain open until the position is filled.
Mathematics and Computer Science
TU/e is a leading international university of technology specializing in Engineering Science & Technology. Through excellent teaching and research we contribute to progress in the technical sciences, to the development of technological innovations, and as a result to the growth of prosperity and welfare in the region and beyond.