School of Engineering Sciences in Chemistry, Biotechnology and Health at KTH
The division of Applied Physical Chemistry at the Department of Chemistry is now looking for a Postdoc who will work together with Prof. István Furó.
The position is located at the School of Chemistry, Biotechnology and Health (CBH) at KTH.
Cellulose and hemicellulose (and in addition lignin) are simple with regard of their atomic composition yet display an incredible variation of properties and behavior. As material they often contain water and different aspects of their macroscopic and molecular behavior depend on the water content on a manner that is neither trivial nor understood in all detail.
A postdoctoral position is now available for studying the fundamental role of water in cellulosic materials both in their native state (the cell wall) and as processed material incl composites. The main experimental method is going to be solid-state NMR spectroscopy supported by scattering experiments and molecular dynamics simulations in cooperation with other researchers and research groups within the Wallenberg Wood Science Center (wwsc.se).
We are looking for candidates with good experience and expertise with NMR spectroscopy and some experience with solid-state NMR. You are expected to work both as member of a small team and independently and participate in the collaborations with other groups. Finally, you are expected to display initiative, analytical thinking, and creativity. We have good access to NMR instrumentation incl a new high-field instrument that is planned to be acquired soon.
What we offer
- A position at a leading technical university that generates knowledge and skills for a sustainable future
- Engaged and ambitious colleagues along with a creative, international and dynamic working environment
- Work in Stockholm, in close proximity to nature
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH
Read more about what it is like to work at KTH
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree in physical chemistry, material chemistry, or a related field. This eligibility requirement must be met no later than the time the employment decision is made.
- Experience and expertise with NMR spectroscopy incl soldi-state NMR.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Good experimental/instrumental skills.
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree, obtained within the last three years prior to the application deadline
- Knowledge and skills that are meritorious for the position are experience and expertise with scattering experiments and molecular dynamics simulations and with programming (eg in Python).
- Awareness of diversity and equal opportunity issues, with specific focus on gender equality
As a person, you have good collaborative skills as well as good ability to work independently. You have good analytical skills and teaching abilities, as well as ability to take own initiatives in your work.
Great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH’s webbpage.
Log into KTH’s recruitment system in order to apply to this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad.
Instructions: Feel free to insert the items below so that you receive the documentation you need for the selection process. The application must include:
- CV including relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Copy of diplomas and grades from your previous university studies. Translations into English or Swedish if the original documents have not been issued in any of these languages.
- Brief account of why you want to conduct research, your academic interests and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. Max two pages long.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
About the employment
The position offered is for, at the most, two years.
A position as a postdoctoral fellow is a time-limited qualified appointment focusing mainly on research, intended as a first career step after a dissertation.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy. Read more here
- Type of employment- Temporary position
- Contract type- Full time
- First day of employment- According to agreement, but no later than October 1, 2023.
- Salary- Monthly salary
- Number of positions- 1
- Full-time equivalent- 100%
- City- Stockholm
- County- Stockholms län
- Country- Sweden
- Reference number- C-2023-0798
- Prof. István Furó, email@example.com
- Published- 10.May.2023
- Last application date- 06.Jun.2023 11:59 PM CEST