Digitalization and Data Science PhD positions (Multiple)
The Novo Nordisk Foundation Centre for Biosustainability (DTU Biosustain) together with the departments of Bioengineering, Compute and Chemical engineering at the Technical University of Denmark are opening multiple PhD positions.
This initiative follows a strategy to educate the next generation of bilingual biotechnology scientists at the intersection of data science, engineering, and life sciences. Bilingual scientists capable of translating domain-specific (e.g., strain design, process systems engineering and multi-scale modeling, bio- discovery, scalability, and manufacturability) problems into data science and engineering solutions are highly needed. Further, bilingual profiles are the hardest to find and the most demanded in industry and academia. We want to fill this gap and offer multiple data science-focused PhD projects supervised by at least two of the involved departments and by helping candidates to customize their course curricula to ensure that they become bilingual in the domains covered in the project.
We are seeking highly motivated PhD candidates with skills in data science, machine learning, deep learning and bioinformatics and strong interest in biology, multi-scale modeling and in-silico experimentation applying them to solve sustainability and biotechnology challenges. If your areas of interest and competence are digitalization, data science, machine learning, deep learning and/or software development, and you are looking to gain experience while working on projects that will make an impact on the world, this is your chance.
Your personal efforts will enable and accelerate the development of new environmentally friendly products, new medical treatments, climate friendly farming, etc. by applying/developing tools and methods for extracting insights from life sciences data.
Research and Development Opportunities
At a more personal level, you will get the opportunity to learn and apply the latest algorithms/data science methods related to synthetic biotechnology and biosustainability. Further, during the selection process, you will define together with your supervisors (main and co-supervisor) the most relevant courses from the domains covered in the project (30 ECTS points of relevant PhD courses as required in Danish PhD programs). These courses will ensure that you become a bilingual scientist with deep knowledge in data science as well as biology, chemistry, computation, etc. We anticipate that by working with us, you will foster some of the following skills:
- Opportunity to work across a multi-disciplinary research program
- Access to world leading companies and initiatives within industrial biotechnology
- Transferable skills across bioengineering, process systems engineering and computer science
- Opportunity to tap into an agile innovation ecosystem
- Bioprocess development across scales in a new data-driven paradigm
- Development and application of state-of-the-art machine learning and deep learning on biotechnological problems
Two-year master’s degree (120 ECTS points) or equivalent in computational biology, bioinformatics, machine learning, or related topics.
Ideal competencies required for the projects
You are willing to work in an international environment with colleagues and partners from all over the world. The following competencies are advantageous for successful execution of these PhD projects:
- MSc in data science, machine learning, computer science, biology, bioengineering, Chemical/Process Engineering, or related fields
- Background in data science, machine learning, deep learning, and/or bioinformatics including programming and mathematical modelling
- Proficiency in software development and data management (Python, R, and other relevant programming language)
- Interest in sustainability and biotechnology challenges
- Ability to translate domain-specific problems into data science and engineering solutions
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills for working in a multi-disciplinary team environment
- Knowledge in the biosustainability areas: Sustainable chemicals, Microbial Foods, and Natural Products
- Knowledge of multi-scale modeling and in-silico experimentation
- Knowledge of process modeling and simulation
If you have these competencies and experience listed above, and you have initiative, are motivated, and eager to learn more and further improve, then you are good to go.
You can look forward to being part of a leading research and education institution in Europe where on-going development of skills and knowledge is a part of the foundation. You will have great flexibility, as trust and respect are some of the values we build our results on.
Approval and Enrolment
The scholarship for the PhD degree is subject to academic approval, and the candidate will be enrolled in one of the general degree programmes at DTU. For information about our enrolment requirements and the general planning of the PhD study programme, please see DTU’s rules for the PhD education.
If you would like additional information about the position, please contact Alberto Santos at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can read more about the involved departments at:
- DTU Biosustain www.biosustain.dtu.dk.
- DTU Bioengineering https://www.bioengineering.dtu.dk/
- DTU Chemical engineering https://www.kt.dtu.dk/
- DTU Compute https://www.compute.dtu.dk/
If you are applying from abroad, you may find useful information on working in Denmark and at DTU at DTU – Moving to Denmark. Furthermore, you have the option of joining our monthly free seminar “PhD relocation to Denmark and startup “Zoom” seminar” for all questions regarding the practical matters of moving to Denmark and working as a PhD at DTU.
Salary and terms of employment
The period of employment is three years. The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
You can read more about career paths at DTU here.
Please submit your online application no later than 31 July 2023.
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link “Apply now”, fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- A letter motivating the application (cover letter)
- Curriculum vitae
- Grade transcripts and BSc/MSc diploma (in English) including official description of grading scale
Candidates may apply prior to obtaining their master’s degree but cannot begin before having received it.
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
There will be a competitive selection process where candidate applications will be evaluated, and the pre-selected candidates will be invited for an interview.
The Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Biosustainability (DTU Biosustain)
Recent progress in our ability to read and write genomic code, combined with advances in automation, analytics and data science, has fundamentally changed the scope and ambition of harnessing the potential of biological systems. Big data approaches and analysis of biological systems are key research instruments at the Center. DTU Biosustain utilizes these advances for microbial cell factory design to foster sustainable lifestyles in relation to three application areas: Sustainable Chemicals, Natural Products, and Microbial Foods. Learn more at biosustain.dtu.dk.
Technology for people
DTU develops technology for people. With our international elite research and study programmes, we are helping to create a better world and to solve the global challenges formulated in the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals. Hans Christian Ørsted founded DTU in 1829 with a clear mission to develop and create value using science and engineering to benefit society. That mission lives on today. DTU has 13,500 students and 6,000 employees. We work in an international atmosphere and have an inclusive, evolving, and informal working environment. DTU has campuses in all parts of Denmark and in Greenland, and we collaborate with the best universities around the world.
- Job Identification- 1822
- Job Category- Phd
- Posting Date- 24/05/2023, 16:22
- Apply Before- 01/08/2023, 03:29
- Locations- Søltofts Plads Bygn. 220, Kgs. Lyngby, 2800, DK