At the Department of Design, there is a vacancy for a permanent position as associate professor (100%) in Visual Communication. The position is available immediately.
Work tasks/research field:
We are looking for applicants who master a wide range of expressions, have an interest in different media, and are able to place visual communication in a historical, social, and communicative context. We will put emphasis on a comprehensive understanding and good ability to reflect on the subject area and design issues.
The ideal candidate has teaching and supervision experience at BA, MA, and PhD level, and with some, or more of the following areas: Editorial design, visual identity, design activism and critical /discursive design.
Experience with social mobilization processes and design in public spaces will be considered relevant. Candidates must be conceptually oriented and have solid knowledge of relevant design methods. We are looking for a candidate who is aware of the field’s broad relevance to visual culture in a changing and market-driven society.
- Teaching and supervision
- Shared responsibility for learning resources in the specialist field
- Artistic research, project development, external funding and project leadership.
- Main supervisor for BA, MA and PhD. students
- Recruitment of BA, MA and Ph.D. students
- Presentation/Dissemination of results
- Organisation and facilitation of these work tasks
- Administrative and other management duties
Qualifications and personal qualities:
The position as associate professor requires completion of an approved artistic research doctoral program in the relevant field or documented evidence of high international-level artistic activities or artistic research (research through design), with specialization which is relevant to the academic field or discipline.
Basic teaching training and experience with the supervision of students at university level is a requirement for the position as associate professor. This implies completed formal pedagogical training, as well as basic skills in planning, implementation, evaluation and development of teaching and supervision. Relevant courses in combination with actual teaching experience could replace a university pedagogy program. Should the successful applicant not have such competence at the time of appointment, he/she will be required to document such training within two years of the date of appointment.
Pedagogical training must be documented in a pedagogical portfolio which should include a documented overview of practical experience and competence as well as a brief reflection statement. The statement should primarily describe the applicant’s own teaching philosophy and an evaluation of own teaching in relation to his/her knowledge of students’ learning at a higher education level. You will find more detailed information about the documentation of pedagogical competence here.
University of Bergen emphasizes educational qualifications for appointment to scientific positions.
The applicants’ academic competence will be assessed by an expert committee. The most highly qualified applicants will be called in for interview and trial lecture by an internal interview team.
Emphasis will also be placed on the following:
- University level teaching experience.
- Good team-working skills, with the emphasis on dialogue and inclusive professional communication.
- Organizational skills and experience.
- Emphasis will be placed on personal qualities. Ambitions and potential will also be considered when assessing candidates.
The teaching language is Scandinavian or English. The successful applicant must be able to teach in Norwegian or another Scandinavian language within two years of being appointed.
We can offer:
- Exciting development opportunities as part of your role in a strong professional environment
- Salary at an annual payrate of NOK 660 000 – 720 000 before taxes. (Code 1011) in the state salary scale. Further increase in salary will depend on seniority. A higher salary may be considered for a particularly well qualified applicant.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- Diplomas and references
- Material documenting artistic research (design research) and design practice/ professional design projects.
- Documentation of educational experience and qualifications: Please fill out this form.
The applicant must clearly show how his or her qualifications relate to the position’s requirements and priorities. It is important that the applicant clarifies his/her thoughts and explains his/her views about this academic field’s position and opportunities.
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at JobbNorge.
Detailed information about this appointment may be obtained by contacting: Head of Department Mona Larsen, phone.: 905 00 972, e-mail: Mona.firstname.lastname@example.org
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
For further information about the recruitment process, click here.
About The University of Bergen
The University of Bergen is a renowned educational and research institution, organised into seven faculties and approximately 54 institutes and academic centres. Campus is located in the centre of Bergen with university areas at Nygårdshøyden, Haukeland, Marineholmen, Møllendalsveien and Årstad.
There are three departments at Faculty of Fine Art, Music and Design. Read more about the faculty and departments.