- Position Assistant Professor
- Irène Curie Fellowship No
- Department(s) Applied Physics and Science Education
- FTE 1,0
- Date off 18/08/2023
- Reference number V34.6601
We are looking for a tenure track candidate with an experimental, theoretical or numerical background to work on one or more of the following topics:
- Lightning and upper atmospheric discharges.
- Space weather and its effects on earth.
- Discharges for environmental applications.
- Discharges for circular energy.
You will be working as an independent PI within the group Elementary Processes in Gas Discharges (EPG, https://www.tue.nl/en/research/research-groups/elementary-processes-in-gas-discharges/). This group works on a variety of plasma related topics, ranging from the ones mentioned above, to more high-tech industrial oriented applications and plasma medicine. Experimental work is done using state-of-the art laser diagnostics, while our numerical efforts are mostly focused around our own Plasimo plasma simulation framework.
This group is embedded within the department of Applied Physics and Science Education at Eindhoven University of Technology. This department has groups working in three large clusters: Fluids, Bio and Soft Matter, Plasma and Beams and Nano, Quantum and Photonics. EPG is part of the Plasma and Beams cluster.
The vacancy is open for an Assistant Professor, either tenure track or tenured, depending on the experience of the candidate. Female candidates are explicitly invited to apply.
- You will be responsible for setting up and driving your own independent research program, by generating funding, and supervising/coaching students at the bachelor/master/PhD level.
- You will be teaching at the Applied Physics Bachelor and Master level.
- You will contribute to the success of the research group, department, and associated institutes by initiating new internal and external collaborations and proactive participation.
- Motivated researcher, with a PhD in (Applied) Physics, Chemistry, Chemical or Electrical Engineering, or similar and preferably at least 2 years of experience as researcher.
- Proven experience in one of the following disciplines: lightning and upper atmospheric discharges, space weather and its effects on earth, discharges for environmental applications, discharges for circular energy.
- Ability to conduct high quality academic research, reflected in demonstratable outputs.
- Motivated to teach, contribute to teaching processes, and to develop excellent teaching skills.
- Strong cooperation skills and ability to work in an interdisciplinary team.
- Effective communication and leadership skills, including coaching and mentoring of students and staff, leading a project or chairing a group.
- Experience in acquiring external research funding from (inter)national funding bodies, or industry is an asset.
- Excellent (written and verbal) proficiency in English.
Conditions of employment
A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university, in an interdisciplinary setting and within an international network. You will work on a beautiful, green campus within walking distance of the central train station. In addition, we offer you:
- A Tenure Track of five years with the prospect of becoming an Associate Professor. If you have a more senior profile, a tailor-made career proposal will be considered.
- The opportunity to focus your career on education, research or impact. You can develop your personal ambitions and objections within the strategic objectives of the university.
- Salary in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, scale 11 or 12 (min. €3.974,- max. €6.181,-).
- A year-end bonus of 8.3% and annual vacation pay of 8%.
- A dedicated mentoring program to help you get to know the university and the Dutch (research) environment.
- High-quality training programs for academic leadership and teaching.
- An excellent technical infrastructure, on-campus children’s day care and sports facilities.
- Partially paid parental leave and an allowance for commuting, working from home and internet costs.
- A Staff Immigration Team is available for international candidates, as are a tax compensation scheme (the 30% facility) and partner career support.
Information and application
Eindhoven University of Technology is an internationally top-ranking university in the Netherlands that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and a top-five position in collaborating with advanced industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow. Curious to hear more about what it is like as a professor at TU/e? Please view this video.
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? Questions regarding the scientific content can be directed to prof.dr.ir. Gerrit Kroesen (g.m.w.kroesen[at]tue.nl) or dr.ir. Sander Nijdam, Associate Professor (s.nijdam[at]tue.nl).
Visit our website for more information about the application process or the conditions of employment. You can also contact Josje van Oudenaarden, Senior Recruiter, j.e.v.oudenaarden[at]tue.nl or +31 643559575..
Are you inspired and would like to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit our career page.
We invite you to submit a complete application. The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of three references.
- Description of your scientific interests and plans (1-2 pages).
- Statement of your teaching goals and experience (1-2 pages).
We look forward to receiving your application.
The closing date for applications is August 18th, 2023. Shortlisted candidates will be selected mid-September 2023. The interviews with the selection committee will take place on the TU/e campus in the period of October 2nd and October 13th, 2023.