The Department of Mathematical Sciences conducts research in a wide range of mathematical disciplines and has three study programmes: mathematics(including a specialization in statistics at the master level), mathematical economics, and mathematics-technology.The department offers an international and informal working environment. The department is proud of its long tradition for good social relations and collaboration among colleagues. Employees at the department have great opportunities to shape the direction of their professional activities.
As assistant professor you will contribute to:
- Methodological research in statistics. Expertise in one or more of the following areas is an advantage but not a prerequisite:
- computational statistics
- continuous time stochastic processes
- statistical genetics/bioinformatics
- graphical models/Bayesian networks
- spatial statistics
- Cross-disciplinary collaborative research with an applied and/or strategic perspective
- Teaching in the mathematics programmes(which comprise mathematics/statistics, mathematics-economics, and mathematics-technology) as well as teaching mathematics and statistics at the study programmes in Engineering and Social Sciences. Aalborg University has three campuses(in Esbjerg, Copenhagen, and Aalborg) and teaching can be at all campuses. Most of the teaching tasks are in Danish and the selected applicant is expected to put an effort into learning Danish
- Funding and external collaboration.The selected applicant must engage in acquiring external funding for research. This will involve collaboration with colleagues from the Department of Mathematical Sciences and from other departments at Aalborg University. This includes funding for methodological research, as well as funding for more applied and strategic research activities
Qualification requirements:To be taken into consideration for the positions an applicant must:
- Hold a PhD degree in mathematical statistics, in data science with a mathematical foundation, or in a related area with a strong mathematical background
- For tenure track assistant professor: Have a solid research record in terms of publications in mathematical statistics
- Present a strategy for future research and funding activities
The ability to contribute to the development of external collaboration and to secure external funding will be considered and the applicant is expected to have good interpersonal skills. Special contributions to the development of educational and teaching related activities will be considered in the overall assessment.
Please note that a position as associate professor is also open. It is possible to apply both for the position as assistant professor and for the position as associate professor. In that case, separate applications must be submitted.
Tenure-track is offered to particularly qualified assistant professor applicants. Tenure-track assistant professors are appointed for a period of 6 years with the prospect of performance-based promotion to a tenured position as associate professor. Tenure-track assistant professors are expected to have international academic standing, demonstrating acclaimed competitive research, and/or have a recognized high potential for future impact.
In tenure-track employment, AAU pays particular attention to:
- The candidate has demonstrated a high degree of autonomy in his/her previous education and employment path
- The candidate shows considerable potential and is among the best in his/her field
- The candidate has academic experience from several universities and/or research institutions and preferably international experience
- The candidate is a skilled communicator
- The candidate writes and speaks English at the academic level
- The candidate is expected to meet the criteria for permanent employment at AAU at the end of the tenure-Track process
If granted tenure-track, the tenure-track assistant professor will have an annual interview with the head of department. An internal assessment committee will conduct a mid-term evaluation after 3 years, and an external assessment committee will conduct a final review after 5.5 years. If the final review is positive, the candidate will be offered a tenured position as associate professor.
The following criteria are part of the tenure-track review:
- Quality, originality and impact of research
- The quality of research-based teaching and the ability to develop, organise, and evaluate teaching activities
- The level of experience with grant proposals and level of experience in communicating research to relevant stakeholders
The level of contributions to an active academic environment and ability to collaborate and build relationships. Please state in your application, if you apply for the Tenure Track.
Further information may be obtained from head of section of statistics and mathematical economics Ege Rubak,+45 9940 8861,email@example.com, or head of department Søren Højsgaard, phone:+45 9940 8801,firstname.lastname@example.org
Qualification requirements as an Assistant Professor:
Appointment as an Assistant Professor presupposes scientific qualifications at PhD–level or similar scientific qualifications. The research potential of each applicant will be emphasized in the overall assessment.Appointment as an Assistant Professor cannot exceed a period of four years in total in a temporary position(appointment at Assistant Professor level cannot exceed a period of eight years in total in Denmark).The application must contain the following:
- A statement outlining your reasons for applying, and intentions and visions with, the position.
- Your curriculum vitae, including personal data, educational background, scientific qualifications, dissemination skills, participation in committees and boards, and additional qualifications relevant for the position.
- Copies of relevant diplomas(Master of Science and PhD). On request you could be asked for an official English translation.
- A complete list of publications.
- Publications you wish to be considered by the assessment committee. You may attach up to 5 publications.
- A specification of your teaching qualifications relative to the teaching portfolio. If this is not enclosed you must include an explanation for its absence.
Shortlisting will be applied. After the review of any objections regarding the assessment committee, the head of department, with assistance from the chair of the assessment committee, selects the candidates to be assessed. All applicants will be informed as to whether they will advance to assessment or not.
The applications are only to be submitted online by using the”Apply online” button below.
AAU wishes to reflect the diversity of society and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background or belief.
For further information concerning the application procedure please contact Mathilde Vestergaard HR-Servicecenter EST by email@example.com.
Salary and benefits Please contact International Staff Unithttps://www.isu.aau.dk/ for information regarding salary and taxes. The successful candidate will be offered courses in Danish if needed. The Department of Mathematics offers excellent infrastructure in terms of officespace and IT.
Working and living in Aalborg and DenmarkThe city of Aalborg is lively with a wide variety of music and cultural events, top notch restaurants, fresh air and easy access to natural parks, forests, and great beaches. Aalborg Airport is well connected with the major hubs of Copenhagen Airport and Schiphol.Information about life in Denmark in general, health care, tax etc. can be found at the International Staff Unit pagehttps://www.isu.aau.dk/ andhttps://lifeindenmark.borger.dk/Information regarding guidelines, ministerial circular in force, teaching portfolio and procedures can be seenhere
Wages and employment
Employment is in accordance with the Ministerial Order on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Universities(the Appointment Order) and the Ministry of Finance’s current Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities. Employment and salary are in accordance with the collective agreement for state-employed academics.