Up to Two PhD Positions in Computer Architecture for Secure, Distributed , Highly-Efficient Systems

Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and research of the highest quality and relevance to make a long-term difference in society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has over 54,000 students, more than 7,500 employees and a turnover of around SEK 8 billion.

The Department of Information Technology holds a leading position in both research and education at all levels. We are currently Uppsala University’s third largest department, have around 350 employees, including 120 teachers and 120 PhD students. Approximately 5,000 undergraduate students take one or more courses at the department each year. You can find more information about us on the department of Information Technology website.

At the Division of Computer Systems, we develop theory and applications of communication systems and computer architecture. Two important goals are to design systems that are energy efficient and secure. The research groups publish at prestigious conferences and have collaborations with international academic and industrial partners. The doctoral position is part of the Uppsala University Graduate School in Cybersecurity, which strives to ensure that all doctoral students receive a solid education in cybersecurity and have the opportunity to interact with researchers.

Read more about our benefits and what it is like to work at Uppsala University

Project Description: Computer Architecture for Secure, Distributed, Constrained Environments.

The goal of this project is to design and implement computer architecture solutions tailored for secure distributed computing environments with limited resources. Specifically, our objective is to develop abstractions for data-flow, system-level, and device-level programming within these systems. Additionally, we aim to provide architectural support that effectively mitigates the challenges posed by the diverse range of resource-constrained devices, such as compute nodes, accelerators, sensors, and actuators, as well as their interconnections.


A Ph.D. student is anticipated to allocate a minimum of 80% of their time to research and graduate education. The remaining portion (up to 20%) encompasses responsibilities as a teaching assistant within the department. In certain instances, students may opt to engage in administrative duties for a portion of this time.


To meet the entry requirements for doctoral studies, you must

  • hold a Master’s (second-cycle) degree in Computer Science, or Computer Engineering, or equivalent, or
  • have completed at least 240 credits in higher education, with at least 60 credits at Master’s level including an independent project worth at least 15 credits, or
  • have acquired substantially equivalent knowledge in some other way.

Rules governing PhD students are set out in the Higher Education Ordinance chapter 5, §§ 1-7 and in Uppsala University’s rules and guidelines.

Additional qualifications

The additional specific requirements are outlined below:

  • Proficiency in systems programming, preferably using C, C++, Rust, or Python.
  • A strong background in computer architecture, and strong knowledge of: distributed systems, security, networks, and operating systems, is highly valued.
  • Strong command of spoken and written English.

About the employment

The employment is a temporary position according to the Higher Education Ordinance chapter 5 § 7. Scope of employment 100 %. Starting date 1 September 2023 or as agreed. Placement: Uppsala. 

For further information about the position, please contact: Stefanos Kaxiras, )+46184712974, Stefanos.kaxiras@it.uu.se).

Please submit your application by 14 August 2023, UFV-PA 2023/2488.

Are you considering moving to Sweden to work at Uppsala University? Find out more about what it´s like to work and live in Sweden.  

Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services.

Submit your application through Uppsala University’s recruitment system.

Placement: Department of Information Technology

Type of employment: Full time , Temporary position

Pay: Fixed salary

Number of positions: 1

Working hours: 100 %

Town: Uppsala

County: Uppsala län

Country: Sweden

Union representative: ST/TCO tco@fackorg.uu.seSeko Universitetsklubben seko@uadm.uu.seSaco-rådet saco@uadm.uu.se

Number of reference: UFV-PA 2023/2488

Last application date: 2023-08-14

How to Apply?

Application Method: Ref. No.