The Department of Precision and Microsystems Engineering of the Delft University of Technology is looking for an Assistant/Associate Professor of Computational Optics. Depending on your experience, this position can be filled at a junior or senior level with possible growth to higher levels in the academic system (tenure track).
The vacant position is in the group Optical Technologies, which is a newly formed group in the department of Precision Microsystem Engineering in the faculty 3ME. Optics has become an integral part of almost every high-tech machine whether it is used in industry, healthcare or in environmental monitoring. Many modern optical instruments need an integrated approach where the complete properties of light-matter interaction are utilised, which can include nonlinear behaviour. For the design of novel optical elements and for conceiving new experimental avenues to drive future applications, computational photonics and a multi-physics approaches are useful and needed.
This position aims at establishing novel theoretical approaches to develop advanced optical techniques as well as novel approaches in describing light – matter interaction. The candidate is expected to develop an own research line in computational optics. Beyond that the candidate is also expected to establish synergies to pre-existing research lines of the group. Teaching experience in related fields (optics, photonics, electrodynamics etc.) is appreciated.
As an Assistant/Associate Professor you will have the opportunity to:
- Develop a research line in the field of computational Optics.
- Conduct and supervise research projects in this field.
- Work on scientific and engineering challenges in close contact with both academic and industrial partners.
- Research innovative nanoscale device concepts for improved fundamental scientific understanding and for novel applications that improve our world.
- Teach general and specialist courses at both undergraduate and post-graduate levels, and inspire students through teaching as well as post-graduate supervision.
- Participate in acquisition of external research funding.
- Closely collaborate with our team and be an inspiring member of our staff.
Applicants should have the following qualifications:
- A PhD degree in mechanical engineering, optical physics or optical engineering.
- Post-doctoral or industrial experience in a relevant field.
- Proven experience in optics, optical design, optical simulation, computational optics, theoretical optics.
- Experience in the fields of mechanics, electronics, optics, thermodynamics and/or physics.
- Skills in working with optical setups and simulation packages are a must.
- Ability to start an (externally funded) research programme, based on your own vision.
- Ability to deal with scientific and engineering challenges in close contact with both academic and industrial partners.
- A strong track record demonstrating scientific publications and/or industrial innovations.
- Ability to provide inspiring teaching at both undergraduate and post-graduate levels (in English).
- Proven ability to build and maintain an international network of relevant contacts or experience in acquisition of external funding is an advantage.
- Proactive team player mentality and good communication skills.
Conditions of employment
Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (salary indication for Assistant Professor: € 3.974 – € 6.181, gross per month) (salary indication for Associate Professor € 5.506 – € 7.362, gross per month).
In case of an Assistant Professor appointment, a tenure-track position is offered for six years. A Tenure Track, a process leading up to a permanent appointment with the prospect of becoming an Associate or full Professor, offers young, talented academics a clear and attractive career path. During the Tenure Track, you will have the opportunity to develop into an internationally acknowledged and recognised academic. We offer a structured career and personal development programme designed to offer individual academics as much support as possible. For more information about the Tenure Track and the personal development programme, please visit www.tudelft.nl/tenuretrack.
Inspiring, excellent education is our central aim. We expect you to obtain a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ) within three years if you have less than five years of teaching experience. This is provided by the TU Delft UTQ programme.
For candidates at the Associate Professor level we offer an initial temporary position with the prospect of a permanent contract. The duration of the temporary position is a maximum of 1 year. After a positive performance assessment, you will be employed in a permanent Associate Professor position.
TU Delft offers a customisable compensation package, a discount for health insurance and sport memberships, and a monthly work costs contribution. Flexible work schedules can be arranged.
For international applicants we offer the Coming to Delft Service and Partner Career Advice to assist you with your relocation. An International Children’s Centre offers childcare and there is an international primary school.Inspiring, excellent education is our central aim. We expect you to obtain a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ) within three years if you have less than five years of teaching experience. This is provided by the TU Delft UTQ programme.
TU Delft sets high standards for the English competency of the teaching staff. The TU Delft offers training to improve English competency. If you do not speak Dutch, we offer courses to learn the Dutch language.
Faculty Mechanical, Maritime and Materials Engineering
The Faculty of 3mE carries out pioneering research, leading to new fundamental insights and challenging applications in the field of mechanical engineering. From large-scale energy storage, medical instruments, control technology and robotics to smart materials, nanoscale structures and autonomous ships. The foundations and results of this research are reflected in outstanding, contemporary education, inspiring students and PhD candidates to become socially engaged and responsible engineers and scientists. The faculty of 3mE is a dynamic and innovative faculty with an international scope and high-tech lab facilities. Research and education focus on the design, manufacture, application and modification of products, materials, processes and mechanical devices, contributing to the development and growth of a sustainable society, as well as prosperity and welfare.
Click here to go to the website of the Faculty of Mechanical, Maritime and Materials Engineering. Do you want to experience working at our faculty? These videos will introduce you to some of our researchers and their work.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Dr. Nandini Bhattacharya, phone: +31 (0)15-2789605, e-mail: email@example.com
Are you interested in this vacancy? Please apply before 28 February 2023 via the application button and upload:
- Detailed CV;
- Motivation letter;
- Research Vision and Teaching Vision;
- Name and contact details of three references who may be approached at a later stage of the procedure.
- A pre-employment screening can be part of the selection procedure.
- You can apply online. We will not process applications sent by email and/or post.
For information about the application procedure, please contact Linda Verhaar, HR advisor, firstname.lastname@example.org.