Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and research of the highest quality and relevance to make a long-term difference in society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has over 54,000 students, more than 7,500 employees and a turnover of around SEK 8 billion.
The Department of Earth Sciences at Uppsala University is Sweden´s largest and most versatile department of its kind with approximately 250 employees. Our activities are interdisciplinary and combine natural science and technology with social science. The Programme for Air, Water, and Landscape Science (LUVAL) encompasses education and research in meteorology, hydrology, environmental analysis, and physical geography. For more information about LUVAL, please visit:
Read more about our benefits and what it is like to work at Uppsala University
We are looking for a motivated research assistant in remote sensing for snow monitoring. The position is 9 months. The successful candidate will be based at LUVAL and the main duties will include:
- Process remote sensing or Earth observation data in related to snow monitoring
- Develop organized and well-documented scientific codes for data processing
- Produce data visualizations (e.g., maps, plots, figures) and scientific texts
- Participate in field work as needed
- Support the development of a snow service visualization portal
- Master’s degree in Geoinformatics, Physical Geography, Computer Sciences, Data Sciences or related disciplines with a remote sensing focus.
- Knowledge in active and passive microwave remote sensing.
- Good scientific programming skills in handling big data (e.g. Python/IDL).
- Knowledge of Google Earth Engine.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English, and good communication skills.
- You should be highly motivated, with good ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
Experiences in working with Sentinel-1 data, data integration from different remote sensing platforms and development of remote sensing information products are highly desired. Experience in remote sensing of cryosphere and knowledge in snow hydrology are considered as merits.
Application must include a personal letter describing your relevant experience andmotivation to apply for the position (maximum 2 pages), a CV and copies of diplomas.
About the employment
The employment is a temporary position, 9 months. Scope of employment 100 %. Starting date 01-08-2023 or as agreed. Placement: Uppsala
For further information about the position, please contact: Jie Zhang, email@example.com or Veijo Pohjola, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit your application by 19 June 2023, UFV-PA 2023/1848.
Are you considering moving to Sweden to work at Uppsala University? Find out more about what it´s like to work and live in Sweden.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services.
Submit your application through Uppsala University’s recruitment system.
- Placement: Department of Earth Sciences
- Type of employment: Full time , Special fixed-term employment
- Pay: Individual salary
- Number of positions: 1
- Working hours: 100%
- Town: Uppsala
- County: Uppsala län
- Country: Sweden
- Union representative: Seko Universitetsklubben email@example.com
- Number of reference: ufv-pa 2023/1848
- Last application date: 2023-06-19