Ph.D. Student in Informatics with a focus on Computer Vision-Based Augmented Reality at School of Engineering, University of Skovde, Sweden 2023
We are looking for candidates who have:
- obtained a degree at the advanced level, or completed at least 240 higher education credits (ECTS), of which at least 60 credits are at the advanced level, or acquired essentially equivalent knowledge within or outside Sweden.
- completed course requirements of at least 60 higher education credits (ECTS), including independent thesis work comprising at least 15 higher education credits at the advanced level in industrial engineering, production engineering, computer science, information technology, automation technology, or other relevant subject areas
- Documented English language proficiency equivalent to the Swedish upper secondary course English 6. This can also be demonstrated by internationally recognized tests such as IELTS (overall score of 6.5), TOEFL (total score of 90), PTE (total score of 62), etc.
- Good ability to assimilate knowledge at the research level.
- Good knowledge and experience in computer vision, artificial intelligence, and machine learning.
- Good knowledge and experience with image recognition & processing, and object detection & recognition.
- Good knowledge and experience with augmented and virtual reality.
- Good knowledge and experience of programming in, e.g., C/C++/C#, Python.
- Documented successful collaboration and experience of working with industry.
- Documented good ability in teamwork and good ability to work both independently and in groups.
- Documented good ability to plan, organize and achieve set goals.
The research will focus on developing solutions that use computer vision-enhanced augmented reality (AR) to provide guidance and information as well as collect data from the shop floor by recognizing movements and object detection. This research examines how computer vision-based AR supports production and automation in smart environments. The doctoral project explores how emerging portable interaction technologies (e.g., AR glasses) assisted by computer vision and artificial intelligence can help the industry improve product quality and safety and increase work efficiency. The doctoral project will take place in close collaboration with industry, among others, ABB and Xylem water solutions. As a doctoral student, you will collaborate with our industrial partners and also have a supervisor from the industry. Due to this, you might be required to travel and spend time with our industrial partners in Sweden. The PhD student position is offered within the area of informatics, which at the University of Skövde, is defined as the science that studies how information is represented, processed, and communicated in artificial and natural systems, and how such systems are used and developed in order to achieve usable and effective applications and solutions for individuals, organizations or society. The School of Engineering at the University of Skövde is characterized by a creative and dynamic environment, which includes a good collaborative environment, modern facilities, and excellent industrial collaboration. For more than a decade, the Engineering School has demonstrated how a small university can provide excellent applied research and education of high quality, as well as generate the means and technological innovations that characterize a successful research group. We work with an integrated educational value chain with known added values for the student, where our engineering programs are CDIO-adapted, and the students have good opportunities for internships and work with our industry partners. The right candidate will be part of a team whose work is of great importance to industry, society, and academia. The employment concerns: The main duties of the doctoral student are conducting research and performing departmental services and the administrative work that comes with these tasks. Additional duties may be involved in the position.
How to Apply?Application Method: online_applicationRef. No. HS 2022/784
Application: You can apply for the job via our website, www.his.se/jobb, by clicking on "Apply" at the bottom of the advertisement. There you will also find information on how to prepare your application. The following documents must be attached with your application:
- Cover letter including a Statement of Purpose where you explain in English your motivation, research interests and expectations from the doctoral program
- Certificates/grades and other qualifications that you want to invoke
- Academic degree and transcript
- Thesis work
Note or Other detailsThe University of Skövde works to actively prevent discrimination through efforts to maintain and improve an inclusive work environment. The employment is fixed-term employment up to and including the completion of a doctoral degree, however, for a maximum of 5 years. The scope of employment is 100%, of which 80% doctoral studies and 20% departmental service. Salary is paid in accordance with a local agreement on a salary ladder for postgraduate students. Only those who are admitted or have already been admitted to a doctoral program may be employed as doctoral students.
For further information, please contact the Head of the Division, Kristens Gudfinnsson (email@example.com) and Associate Professor Masood Fathi (firstname.lastname@example.org). Union information is provided by Anders Johansson (Saco-S) or Sonja Nohlgren (ST). All personnel can be reached via the University's switchboard 0500-44 80 00.