The Department of Architecture and Technology has a vacancy for a tenure-track position as part of the Onsager Fellowship Programme an Associate Professor in integrated circular design of the built environment, at NTNU – Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, 2022
The Onsager Fellows programme is designed to attract talented early-career scholars, with documented excellent supervised work, with ambitious research plans to work independently and with the potential for scientific breakthrough. You must have the qualifications required for the position of associate professor in the field of integrated circular design of the built environment, as outlined in the the regulations concerning appointment and promotion to teaching and research posts.
- Your Ph.D., or comparable academic work, must be within the field of architecture, civil or environmental engineering (or a comparable relevant field). The PhD should have been awarded no more than 5 years prior to the application deadline, excluding law entitled leave.
- You have experience from research and/or design of high performance, zero-emission, climate-positive, and circular buildings and/or neighborhoods
- You have experience with dissemination and communication of your research and/or practices through publications in internationally acknowledged journals
- You have worked in and contributed to interdisciplinary projects that span across multiple fields
- Proficient in written and oral communication in English
- Use of advanced digital tools for the design of buildings and/or neighborhoods
- Development and applications of methods and approaches for environmental and sustainability assessment of the built environment
- Development and applications of methods and tools to support the design for disassembly and the reuse of building materials and building components
- Experience with life cycle management and sustainable transformation of the built environment
- Broad understanding of sustainability for built environment spanning from the technical/environmental dimension to the socio-cultural and economic dimensions
- Experience in bridging technical competences about environmental performance of buildings with performance of energy, materials and social, historical, and architectural values of the built environment
- Experience with application for competitive national and international research grants
- Good pedagogical skills
- A strong commitment to help create good buildings and neighborhoods with high architectural and environmental quality
- A desire to contribute to sustainable development through teaching and research
- Ability to work both independently and in groups
- Good collaboration skills and desire to contribute to a good working environment
- Ability to work with external partners and build networks
- Ability to inspire and motivate students and create engagement
The desired candidate shall enable technical solutions and circular design practices that meet social, historical, and architectural quality of buildings and neighborhoods. An important focus shall therefore be placed on applying circular design principles to support the transformation, and re-use of buildings and/or neighborhoods. We are looking for a highly motivated candidate that wants to become an important player in the national and international research arena, and actively work to expand the existing academic and industrial network of the department. We consider experience in collaborating with interdisciplinary research and/or design teams a very important requisite for the desired candidate.
- Research within the Department’s areas with a focus on integrated circular approaches for the design and transformation of the built environment
- Teaching, both in the master program of architecture and in the international master program on sustainable architecture
- Project development and grant writing towards both national and European funding agencies, with a specific focus on programs targeting scientific excellence
- Continuous collaboration with different discipline units both within the department and faculty, and with other faculties at NTNU
- Engaging with industry and different stakeholders in the value-chain of circular practices for the built environment
- Communication activities targeting a wide audience beyond traditional scientific dissemination in academic journals
- Supervise the PhD Fellow connected to this position, as well as guide other PhD and Postdoctoral Fellows linked to this topic, together with the team
How to Apply?Application Method: online_applicationRef. No. -
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English. Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that your application will be considered based solely on the information submitted by the application deadline. You must therefore ensure that your application clearly demonstrates how your skills and experience fulfill the criteria specified above. If for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result. Leave to which the candidate is entitled by law or collective agreement shall be excluded when calculating the time since finishing the PhD. Your application must include:
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- A teaching portfolio, in which your teaching competence is compiled and presented systematically, (See guidelines for applicants: Documentation of teaching qualifications in applications and appointments to academic positions at NTNU)
- Academic works – published or unpublished – that you wish to be considered during assessment of your application (up to 5 items)
- A description of the scientific/artistic /architectural works you consider most relevant, which you particularly wish to be factored into the assessment
- A list of your previous works, with details on where they have been published
- A research plan
- Details of projects for which you have served as project manager or in which you have collaborated, including information on financing, duration, and scope
- Names and contact information for three relevant referees
About the Department/Section/GroupThe Department is heavily involved in research on zero emission neighborhoods and climate positive circular communities. It hosts the National Research Centre on Zero Emission Neighborhoods (ZEN Centre) in Smart Cities, which has a total budget of 385 million NOK over 8 years. The main goal is to enable the transition to a low carbon society by developing sustainable neighbourhoods with (net) zero greenhouse gas emissions. The Department is currently also leading the two EU Horizon 2020 projects Syn.ikia – Sustainable Plus Energy Neighbourhoods and ARV – Climate Positive Circular Communities that expands the goals of the ZEN Centre. State-of-the-art research infrastructure and pilot projects available at the Department offer a unique opportunity to combine theoretical research with experimental and demonstration activities (e.g. www.zeblab.no).
Note or Other detailsAs an Associate Professor (code 1011) you are normally paid from gross 604 700 – 825 900 NOK per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. As required by law, 2% of this salary will be deducted and paid into the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund. The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- help with immigration and home finding, if relevant
- one PhD position to build up a research group
- a start-up package, including a fund of NOK 200 000
- an open and inclusive work environment with enthusiastic colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
If you have any questions regarding the position, please contact Professor Arild Gustavsen or Professor Francesco Goia. If you have questions regarding the recruitment process, please contact HR advisor Natalia Swahn, email firstname.lastname@example.org.