Applied Physics with specialization in Quantum Optics
Quantum optics applied to communication and sensing, including the development of experimental methods and systems utilizing squeezed states of light.
The position includes research and teaching in the subject area. The assistant professor is expected to apply for research funding, as well as creating new collaborations within and outside KTH. The assistant professor is also expected to contribute to teaching and course development at advanced level and supervise degree projects and doctoral students in the subject area. In the long-term, teaching in physics at basic level is expected. Some administrative tasks are also included. The assistant professor is expected to be able to teach in Swedish within four years. If necessary, a language development plan will be implemented at the start of employment.
The assistant professor will be given opportunity to develop their independence as researcher and gain accreditation that may allow them to take other teaching positions with higher eligibility requirements (see Chapter 4, Section 12 a of the Higher Education Ordinance). Following application, the assistant professor can apply for promotion to associate professor in accordance with Chapter 4, Section 12 c of the Higher Education Ordinance.
An individual who has obtained a PhD or equivalent r1esearch expertise is qualified for appointment as an assistant professor. Candidates who met those qualifications within five years prior to expiration of the application period should be prioritized. Other candidates may also be considered if there are extraordinary grounds for doing so. Extraordinary grounds refer to illness, parental leave or similar circumstances.
Grounds of assessments
The assessment criteria for appointment as an assistant professor at KTH are stated in KTH’s appointments procedure section 1.3, and apply in relation to the employment profile laid down.
Of highest importance is that the applicant has
- research expertise demonstrated through research publications, conference attendance, attendance of research cooperation and also other undertakings in the scientific community such as for example, assignments as a reviewer or expert.
- potential to qualify for a higher teaching post. This includes the potential for independent development as a researcher and teacher within the subject field in question and also the ability to establish, review and develop the research area in question.
- postdoc visits to a research environment other than the university at which the applicant defended their doctoral thesis. In application-oriented areas, experience from research and development work within the industry or other organizations is considered to correspond to a traditional postdoc visit to another university.
Of second highest importance is that the applicant has
- an interest in and understanding of pedagogical development within the subject field in question.
- an interest in and understanding of leadership in an academic environment, third-stream activities, and awareness of diversity and equal treatment issues with a particular focus on gender equality.
It is also important that the applicant has
- administrative expertise.
Special grounds of assessment for promotion to associate professor
When assessing applications for promotion to associate professor, the applicant’s ability to independently initiate and carry out research of high academic quality, published in international publications, and the applicant’s ability to obtain financing for research operations will be assessed. Of highest importance is the applicant’s ability to independently establish new collaborations and research specializations. It is also of highest importance that the applicant has displayed teaching and supervising expertise. Ability to teach in Swedish is a merit that is given great importance in the application for promotion.
Trade union representatives
Contact information to trade union representatives can be found at KTH’s web page.
Your application should follow KTH’s CV template for employment of teachers. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the application is complete according to the requirements in the ad and CV template.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
Log into KTH recruitment system in order to apply to this position.
Time limitation:The appointment is for an indefinite term, but no more than six years, and may be extended if, due to the teacher’s absence due to sick leave, parental leave or other special grounds, more time is required to reach the objectives of the appointment. However, the total appointment period may not exceed eight years. The appointment is part of the Tenure Track system at KTH and the assistant professor may apply for promotion to tenured associate professor.
For more information regarding KTH’s assessment, see Appointments procedure at KTH
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
KTH Relocation offers help to relocate and settle in Sweden and at KTH, please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
- Type of employment – Temporary position longer than 6 months
- Contract type – Full time
- First day of employment – As soon as possible
- Salary – Monthly pay
- Number of positions – 1
- Full-time equivalent – 100%
- City – Stockholm
- County – Stockholms län
- Country – Sweden
- Reference number – VL-2022-0144
- Lucie Delemotte, Associate Professor, email@example.com
- Katia Gallo, Professor, firstname.lastname@example.org