Örebro University invites applications for an associate senior lecturers in computer science specialising in machine learning, at the School of Science and Technology, Sweden – Oct 2022
Position: Associate Senior Lecturer
No. of Positions: 2
Research Field: Computer Science
Joining Date: ASAP
Contract Period: 4-6 Years
Salary: Subject to norms
School of Science and Technology
Örebro universitet, Fakultetsgatan, Örebro, Sweden
Those qualified for appointment as an associate senior lecturer are candidates who have been awarded a doctoral degree or have the corresponding research competence. Priority should be given to candidates who have been awarded their doctoral degree or acquired the corresponding competence no more than five years before the application deadline. Candidates who have obtained their doctoral degree prior to that should also be considered, if special grounds exist. Such grounds may comprise leave of absence due to illness, parental leave, or other similar circumstances.
- When filling these associate senior lecturer position, the main focus will be on the candidates’ research expertise. A requirement for employment is solid qualifications in the area of machine learning and machine reasoning which should be demonstrated through the candidate’s own research and scientific publications in machine learning and machine reasoning within artificial intelligence. Candidates’ research will also be assessed on their potential to strengthen basic research in artificial intelligence in Sweden. In addition to publications in scientific journals, national and international research collaborations, a demonstrated ability to secure external funding, and an interest in cooperating across disciplines are considered additional qualifications.
- International research experience.
- Teaching expertise shall be examined and assessed based on the candidates’ teaching qualifications, which shall be well-documented and accounted for in a teaching portfolio.
- Importance is also attached to experience and qualifications in terms of collaboration with society, of which the University is a part, as well as in terms of national and international experience and mobility.
- Leadership skills are assessed mainly based on the candidates’ leadership experience and qualifications from within research and education.
- Great importance is also attached to suitability, that is, personal characteristics required to perform the duties and responsibilities at hand, to cooperate with other members of staff, and to contribute to the development of Örebro University’s operations. The persons we are looking for has good interpersonal and cooperative skills, power of initiative, an interest in development efforts, and the aim set for a career within academia.
- Good communication skills in English, in speech and in writing is mandatory.
Promotion to senior lecturer
An associate senior lecturer shall, on application, be promoted to senior lecturer if they meet the criteria set out in the Appointment Procedures for Örebro University that were in force when the position was taken up.
On the examination of applications for promotion to senior lecturer, teaching and research expertise will be given equal attention. The candidate shall have completed courses on teaching and learning in higher education to the degree required for eligibility as a senior lecturer. Good communicative skills in Swedish, in speech and in writing, at such a level that is necessary for the candidate to be able to perform frequent duties and responsibilities within research, teaching and administration are also required.
The application for promotion to a position as a senior lecturer, shall be submitted to the faculty no later than 6 months before the position as an associate senior lecturer reaches the end of its term. Such a promotion will entail employment until further notice as a senior lecturer.
Wallenberg AI, Autonomous Systems and Software Program (WASP) is Sweden’s largest individual research program ever. WASP provides a platform for academic research and education, fostering interaction with Sweden’s leading technology companies. WASP has the ambition to strengthen and develop Sweden’s knowledge and competence in the areas of AI and machine learning through an international recruitment program. Thus, the WASP positions are not intended as a mechanism to strengthen Sweden’s existing faculty, but to attract new talent to Sweden. http://wasp-sweden.org/
In particular, the area of these positions is related to fundamental research in machine learning which can either be driven by theory or application. Application driven fundamental research can for example include (but is not limited to) applications in robotics or autonomous systems.
The associate senior lecturers shall pursue research in computer science at the Centre for Applied Autonomous Sensor Systems (AASS) at the School of Science and Technology on Örebro University’s main campus. AASS focuses on artificial intelligence, robotics as well as autonomous and intelligent sensor systems. Industrial applications of these occur in close collaboration with national and international world-leading companies.
The positions may also include a starting package.
Duties and responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities involve research, teaching and collaboration. During the period of employment, an associate senior lecturer shall develop their autonomy as a researcher and acquire further qualifications in terms of both research and teaching skills to meet the criteria for a position as a senior lecturer. An associate senior lecturer shall also contribute to the University’s development.
Other important duties and responsibilities include applying for external research funding, promoting internationalization and collaboration, and contributing to the operations in the research environment. Duties and responsibilities may also entail supervision of doctoral students and postdoctoral researchers. In addition, the associate senior lecturers shall contribute to the teaching in computer science on the Bachelor and Master of Science in Engineering programmes.
How to Apply?
Application Method: Online Application
Ref. No.: ORU 2.1.1-03207/2022
The application is made online. Click the button “Apply” to begin the application procedure.
For the application to be complete, the following electronic documents must be included:
- A covering letter, outlining how you believe you can contribute to the continued development of Örebro University
- CV with a relevant description of your overall qualifications and experience
- Teaching portfolio (as instructed in Örebro University’s guidelines)
- Research portfolio
- Publication list
- Complete scientific publications (maximum of 10) (Not only publication list.)
- Copies of relevant course/degree certificates and references verifying eligibility and criteria met
Only documents written in Swedish, English, Norwegian or Danish can be reviewed.
After the application deadline has expired, no supplements can be made electronically. Applicants will at a later stage receive instructions on supplementing their application for the external experts. Such a supplement is however limited to any scientific publications that cannot be attached electronically to the application.
We decline any contact with advertisers or recruitment agencies in the recruitment process.
As directed by the National Archives of Sweden (Riksarkivet), Örebro University is required to deposit one file copy of the application documents, excluding publications, for a period of two years after the appointment decision has gained legal force.
About the Employer: Örebro University, Sweden
Note or Other details
The positions as associate senior lecturers are for a fixed term of 4-6 years (the exact term will be determined in connection with employment). The contract may be renewed, for a maximum of two years, if, due to the associate senior lecturer’s sick leave, parental leave, or other special grounds, more time is required for the aim of the employment to be fulfilled. The positions are full-time and the ratio between teaching and research is made based on agreement during the negotiation of the condition of the position. Starting date is in January 2023 provided that the necessary decisions have been made. The salary depends on the successful candidate’s qualifications and experience. Also dependent on the negotiation is the accompanying starting package which might include postdoctoral and Ph.d student positions.
Örebro University actively pursues an equal work environment and values the qualities that diversity adds to our operations.
For more information about the positions, contact Head of AASS, Professor Lars Karlsson email: [email protected] or the Head of the subject in Computer Science, Prof. Franziska Klügl email: [email protected].
Advertisement Details: Associate Senior Lecturers in Computer Science