The University seeks to appoint an associate professor in Bacteriology to the Costerton Biofilm Center (CBC), Department of Immunology and Microbiology (ISIM) to commence as soon as possible. The position is limited to 3 years and is a 20% position.
ISIM is responsible for the course in microbiology, which prepares the medical students to manage the antimicrobial treatment of patients in clinical departments, to cooperate with clinical microbiologists on an optimal treatment of the patients, and to start working in a clinical microbiology department. As the teaching is case-based and clinically oriented, it is preferred that the candidate for the associate professor position is a specialist in clinical microbiology with experience from a department of clinical microbiology and has teaching experience.
Information on the Department can be found at: https://sund.ku.dk/.
In considering applications for the associate professorship, the main emphasis will be on the applicant´s ability to document teaching experience in microbiology as well as high level of original scientific work at an international level within the area of Bacteriology.
Thus, it is expected that the candidate has a medical education background and speciality in clinical microbiology. Research in the area of antimicrobial resistance, which is the research interest of CBC, is an advantage.
The associate professor’s responsibilities will primarily consist of:
- Research, including publication/academic dissemination
- Research-based teaching, including associated examination
- Research leadership, including guidance and supervision of researchers
- Obligation to share knowledge with the rest of society, including participation in public debate
- Academic assessments
Six overall criteria apply for associate professor appointments at the University of Copenhagen. The six criteria (research, teaching, societal impact, organisational contribution, external funding and leadership) are considered a framework for the overall assessment of candidates. Find information about each criterion here: https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/criteria-for-recognising-merit.
Furthermore, each applicant must be able to document:
- Research qualifications at the level that can be achieved by satisfactorily completing a period of employment as an assistant professor/postdoc, but may also be obtained in other ways
- Teaching qualifications and pedagogical competencies
- Research-based teaching
The associate professor is also required to possess good interpersonal and communicative skills.
Terms of employment
The position is limited to a period of 3 years.
The average weekly working hours are 7.4 hours per week.
Salary and other terms and conditions of appointment are set in accordance with the Agreement between the Ministry of Taxation and AC (Danish Confederation of Professional Associations) or other relevant professional organisations. The position is covered by the Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities 2020.
The application must be submitted in English and must include the following documents:
- Application, including motivations for applying for the position (Maximum 2 pages)
- Curriculum vitae, including information about external funding
- Diplomas (Master’s, PhD, and other relevant certificates)
- A complete list of publications
- Research plan (3‐5 pages)
- Uploads of maximum 5 publications to be considered in the assessment
- Teaching plan
- Teaching portfolio (Guidelines: https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/job-application-portfolio)
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Appointments Committee. All applicants are then immediately notified whether their application has been passed for assessment. The Dean then appoints an expert assessment committee in order to make an assessment of the selected applicants for the specific post. Selected applicants are notified of the composition of the committee and each applicant has the opportunity to comment on the part of the assessment that relates to the applicant him/herself. You can read about the recruitment process at https://jobportal.ku.dk/.Please note that the applicant will be contacted if the assessment committee requires further documentation. The applicant will be assessed according to the Ministerial Order no. 242 of 13 March 2012 on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Universities. The University of Copenhagen encourages all interested applicants to apply for this position. Please submit the application with the required attachments.
The closing date for applications is 23.59 p.m. CET, 13 February 2023.
Part of the International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU), and among Europe’s top-ranking universities, the University of Copenhagen promotes research and teaching of the highest international standard. Rich in tradition and modern in outlook, the University gives students and staff the opportunity to cultivate their talent in an ambitious and informal environment. An effective organisation – with good working conditions and a collaborative work culture – creates the ideal framework for a successful academic career.
- Application deadline: 13-02-2023
- Employment start: Start as soon as possible
- Working hours: Part-time
- Department/Location: ISIM