The Nanobiophysics Group (NBP) at the University of Twente seeks a dynamic, motivated, and team-oriented individual for the position of Assistant Professor in Molecular Biophysics. This role offers an opportunity to contribute to a vibrant research group at the intersection of biophysics and nanotechnology.
- HOURS- 40 hr.
- SALARY INDICATION- Salary gross/monthlybased on full-time€ 3,974 – € 5,439
- DEADLINE- 17 Sep 2023
We look forward to welcoming a new member to our team who will contribute to our research endeavors, offer valuable training and continuity, and help shape the field of Molecular Biophysics at the University of Twente. Interested candidates are invited to apply for this exciting opportunity to make a meaningful impact in our dynamic research environment.
As an assistant professor in our group, you will play a crucial role in advancing our ongoing research endeavors by combining your expertise in biochemical lab work, physics methods, and scientific research. You will serve as a vital link between these disciplines, employing innovative and interdisciplinary approaches to drive our work forward. This position entails significant mentoring responsibilities, as you will provide training, guidance, and continuity to our team of MSc and PhD students, as well as postdoctoral researchers. By fostering a collaborative learning environment, you will share your experience and knowledge, nurturing the next generation of researchers and fostering excellence in their work.
One key aspect of this role involves conducting high-impact research in molecular biophysics and actively pursuing and securing national and international research funding. This requires a proactive mindset and a comprehensive understanding of the research landscape.
Furthermore, as an assistant professor, you will be responsible for teaching. A significant portion of your role will involve delivering high-quality instruction at both the bachelor’s and master’s levels. Ideally, you should have prior experience in teaching and supervising students at these levels. Guiding students during their thesis projects, you will provide expert advice, direction, and support to enhance their learning experience and academic progress.
- a PhD in Biophysics, Physical Chemistry, Biochemistry, or a closely related field.
- You hold a UTQ (University Teaching Qualification) or are willing to obtain this
- Demonstrated postdoctoral research experience
- You have a proven track record with methods such as optical microscopy, fluorescence microscopy, single-molecule spectroscopy and functional in vivo (cell) imaging.
- Experience with molecular biology and cell biology methods such as cloning, protein expression and purification and the handling of large datasets is also essential.
- Experience with AI approaches or modelling are valuable additions.
- A structural position as assistant professor, starting with a temporary appointment with the prospect of a permanent position after a positive evaluation 18 months after appointment
- Your salary and associated conditions are in accordance with the collective labour agreement for Dutch universities (CAO-NU).
- You will receive a gross monthly salary ranging from € 3.974,- to € 5.439,-
- There are excellent benefits including a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%, and a solid pension scheme.
- A minimum of 232 leave hours in case of full-time employment based on a formal workweek of 38 hours.
- A full-time employment in practice means 40 hours a week, therefore resulting in 96 extra leave hours on an annual basis.
- Free access to sports facilities on campus.
- A family-friendly institution that offers parental leave (both paid and unpaid).
- Excellent career support and courses for your professional and personal development.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Are you interested in joining our team? Please submit your application before September 17th, 2023, via the ‘Apply now’ button, and include:
- Your letter of motivation.
- A Curriculum Vitae, including a complete list of publications, lectures and presentations at conferences and a list of third-party funding.
- Research and education statement
You are welcome to contact Mireille Claessens (firstname.lastname@example.org) for any questions you may have.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The NBP group at the University of Twente is a multidisciplinary research team that operates at the intersection of physics, chemistry, biology, and medicine. Our primary focus lies in the study of intrinsically disordered proteins (IDPs), which play diverse roles in biological processes. Leveraging cutting-edge microscopy and spectroscopy techniques, we develop novel bulk and single molecule technologies to investigate the function and disease implications of IDPs, particularly in the context of Parkinson’s disease. Additionally, we extend our knowledge and methodologies to other domains requiring highly sensitive detection, such as virus and nano plastic detection.
ABOUT THE ORGANISATION
The Faculty of Science & Technology (Technische Natuurwetenschappen, TNW) engages some 700 staff members and 2000 students in education and research on the cutting edge of chemical technology, applied physics and biomedical technology. Our fields of application include sustainable energy, process technology and materials science, nanotechnology and technical medicine. As part of a people-first tech university that aims to shape society, individuals and connections, our faculty works together intensively with industrial partners and researchers in the Netherlands and abroad, and conducts extensive research for external commissioning parties and funders. Our research has a high profile both in the Netherlands and internationally and is strengthened by the many young researchers working on innovative projects with as doctoral candidates and post-docs. It has been accommodated in three multidisciplinary UT research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centre and Digital Society Institute.
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
CLAESSENS, M.M.A.E. (MIREILLE)CHAIR NANOBIOPHYSICS
Do you have questions about this vacancy? Then you can contact Mireille for all substantive questions about this position and the application procedure. For general questions about working for the UT, please refer to the chatbot.