Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and research of the highest quality and relevance to make a long-term difference in society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has over 54,000 students, more than 7,500 employees and a turnover of around SEK 8 billion.
The Department of Earth Sciences at Uppsala University is Sweden´s largest and most versatile department of its kind with approximately 250 employees. Our activities are interdisciplinary and combine natural science and technology with social science. We have research programs in air, water and landscape science; geophysics; natural resources and sustainable development; petrology, mineralogy and tectonics; paleobiology, and wind energy. By investigating the history of Earth, we understand how our planet has developed over time and how sustainable development benefits from this knowledge.
The Programme for Air, Water, and Landscape Science (LUVAL) encompasses education and research in meteorology, hydrology, environmental analysis, and physical geography. For more information about LUVAL, please visit:
Read more about our benefits and what it is like to work at Uppsala University
We offer a one-year position as a researcher in remote sensing for snow monitoring. The successful candidate will be based at LUVAL. The primary objective of this position is to better quantify the seasonal snow water storage in mountain regions through the use of satellite microwave observations in combination with UAV measurements and ground observations.
The main research tasks include:
- Develop improved algorithms for estimating snow parameters
- Generate improved snow products
- Support the development of a snow service visualization portal
- Participate in field work
- Publish research paper(s)
- PhD in Geoinformatics, Physical Geography or related disciplines with a remote sensing focus.
- Knowledge in active and passive microwave remote sensing.
- Good scientific programming skills in handling big data (e.g. Python/IDL).
- Knowledge in Google Earth Engine.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English, and good communication skill.
- Good track record of publications in relevant fields.
- You should be highly motivated with good ability to work both independently and collaboratively, and contribute to the development of the project
Experiences in working with Sentinel-1 data, data integration from different remote sensing platforms and development of remote sensing information products are highly desired. Knowledge/experience in remote sensing of cryosphere, photogrammetry, machine learning and snow hydrology are considered as merits.
Application must include a personal letter describing your relevant experience, research interests, and motivation to apply for the position (maximum 2 pages), a CV (including a list of your full publications and the contact information or letters from at least two referees), copies of diplomas.
About the employment
The employment is a temporary position, 12 months. Scope of employment 100 %. Starting date 01-08-2023 or as agreed. Placement: Uppsala
For further information about the position, please contact: Jie Zhang, email@example.com or Veijo Pohjola, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit your application by 19 June 2023, UFV-PA 2023/1847.
Are you considering moving to Sweden to work at Uppsala University? Find out more about what it´s like to work and live in Sweden.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services.
Submit your application through Uppsala University’s recruitment system.
- Placement: Department of Earth Sciences
- Type of employment: Full time , Temporary position
- Pay: Individual salary
- Number of positions: 1
- Working hours: 100%
- Town: Uppsala
- County: Uppsala län
- Country: Sweden
- Union representative: Seko Universitetsklubben email@example.com
- Number of reference: UFV-PA 2023/1847
- Last application date: 2023-06-19