Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has around 46 000 students and more than 8 000 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
Lund University welcomes applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We regard gender equality and diversity as a strength and an asset.
The department of Chemistry at Lund University, Faculty of Enfineering invites applications for a position as Assistant Professor in in Applied Microbiology with specialization in big data and modelling.
Applied Microbiology with specialization in big data and modelling
The subject area is focused on large-scale data management and modelling and includes aspects of industrial microbiology. Main research area is in quantitative microbial physiology with applications in health, food, materials, and/or energy. The research includes the development and application of bioinformatics methods and models for the description of DNA, RNA, proteins, and metabolites in microorganisms, or microbial communities in applied environments. In addition, the focus will be on the development and application of mathematical models and machine learning.
Employment as an Assistant Professor is a career development position, which aims for the holder to develop his or her independence as a researcher and educator. The work duties mainly involve research and teaching. The position shall include the opportunity for five weeks of training in higher education teaching and learning.
Work duties include:
- Research within the subject area.
- Teaching in the first, second and third cycles of studies.
- Supervision of degree projects and doctoral students.
- Actively seeking external research funding.
- Collaboration with industry and wider society.
- Administration related to the work duties listed above.
Appointment to Assistant Professor requires that the applicant has a PhD, or acquired corresponding research expertise.
Priority should be given to applicants who have completed their degree or acquired the equivalent expertise no more than five years before the last date for applications.
For appointment to Assistant Professor, the following shall form the assessment criteria:
- A good ability to develop and conduct high quality research.
- Teaching skills.
- Very good oral and written proficiency in English.
- Documented research experience of applied microbiology and big data analysis, and/or modelling, and/or systems biology within the field
- Documented research experience (for example from postdoc or research training) from another university/institute or relevant experience from business/public activities.
- Documented experience of having applied for and been granted research funding in competition.
- Documented research experience in AI and its sub-disciplines.
- Experience of supervising doctoral students and graduate workers.
- Experience of teaching at undergraduate level in microbiology.
- Experience of leadership and/or leadership training.
- Experience of collaboration with business.
Consideration will also be given to ability to cooperate, drive and independence, and how the applicant’s experience and skills complement and strengthen ongoing research, education and innovation within the department, and how they stand to contribute to its future development.
Terms of employment
This is a full-time, fixed-term employment of 6 years. The employment is regulated in accordance with Chapter 4 Section 12a§ HEA.
Description of the workplace
The Division of Applied Microbiology conducts basic and applied research in the areas of industrial microbiology, food microbiology, environmental engineering microbiology and DNA analysis. Research projects at the division are focused on industrially relevant areas such as microbial production of biofuels, biochemicals, pharmaceuticals, probiotics, prebiotics, food safety, and water purification to more basic research concerning cell physiology and metabolism, biofilm function in drinking water production, and DNA-based analysis that includes sequencing and pre -PCR processing methods.
There is an opportunity to collaborate with existing and established nodes for industrial microbiology. In many research projects within the department’s research groups, protein chemical, molecular biological and chemical analyzes are of great importance and processing the analysis results requires ever greater resources and knowledge in bioinformatics and large-scale data handling. There is also an opportunity to strengthen collaboration with the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science for the development of the use of machine learning in industrial microbiology.
The Division of Applied Microbiology is part of the Department of Chemistry and is located at the Chemistry Centre. The chemical center is also home to the department of chemical engineering and the department of food technology. The chemistry center is an extremely stimulating environment, has an advanced instrument park, and offers excellent opportunities for collaboration with a diversity of specializations within the field of chemistry. In addition, the chemical center is situated in the middle of the stretch from the university site in central Lund via the Biomedical Center, the LTH campus, out to MaxIV, ESS and the Science Village in Brunnshög. Lund University offers fantastic opportunities to develop your own academic activities.
Lund University is a public authority which means that employees get particular benefits, generous annual leave and an advantageous occupational pension scheme.
Instructions on how to apply
Applications shall be written in English. Please draw up the application in accordance with LTH’s Academic qualifications portfolio – see link below. Upload the application as PDF-files in the recruitment system. Read more:http://www.lth.se/english/working-at-lth/to-apply-for-academic-positions-at-lth/
Promotion to Senior Lecturer in Applied Microbiology with specialization in big data and modelling
During the period of employment, an Assistant Professor can apply for promotion to a permanent position as Senior Lecturer if he or she has the required qualifications listed below, and is deemed suitable. An Assistant Professor can only apply for promotion once.
Appointment to Senior Lecturer requires that the applicant has:
- A PhD or corresponding research competence or professional expertise considered important with regard to the subject matter of the post and the work duties it will involve.
- Demonstrated teaching expertise.
- Completed five weeks of training in higher education teaching and learning, or acquired equivalent knowledge by other means.
The assessment criteria specify the aspects to be taken into account, and the level to be achieved, in order for the assessment criteria to be deemed fulfilled. The following assessment criteria must be fulfilled for appointment to senior lecturer:
- A good national and international standing as a researcher. The requirement for international experience shall be assessed with consideration to the character and traditions of the subject.
- Good teaching ability, including a good ability to conduct, develop and lead teaching and other educational activities on different levels and using a variety of teaching methods.
- An ability to supervise doctoral students to achieve a PhD.
- An ability to collaborate with wider society and communicate his or her activities.
- A good general ability to lead and develop activities.
- Good ability to co-operate, independence and drive.
- Progression in research and teaching expertise.
- Ability to actively, independently seek and successfully acquire external funding.
- Ability to contribute to renewal of the organization’s activities.
LTH forms the Faculty of Engineering at Lund University, with approximately 9 000 students. The research carried out at LTH is of a high international standard and we are continuously developing our teaching methods and adapting our courses to current needs.
We kindly decline all sales and marketing contacts.
- Type of employment- Temporary position
- Contract type- Full time
- First day of employment- As soon as possible
- Salary- Monthly
- Number of positions- 1
- Full-time equivalent- 100 %
- City- Lund
- County- Skåne län
- Country- Sweden
- Reference number- PA2023/1286
- Leif Bülow, leif.bülow@kilu.lu.se
- SACO:Saco-s-rådet vid Lunds universitet, 046-2229364,firstname.lastname@example.org
- OFR/ST:Fackförbundet ST:s kansli, 046-2229362,email@example.com
Last application date
14.Aug.2023 11:59 PM CEST