Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top universities. The University has around 45 000 students and more than 8 000 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
Lund University welcomes applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We regard gender equality and diversity as a strength and an asset.
The Department of Physics at Lund University, Faculty of Engineering, invites applications for a position as Assistant Professor in Physics with specialization in semiconductor optics. The position is located at the Division of Solid State Physics, where extensive research is conducted centered on various aspects of nanophysics, ranging from materials science to quantum physics to various applications. The division, which consists of about 90 people, is a central part of NanoLund, the major interdisciplinary research environment within nanoscience and nanotechnology at Lund University. The division is also strongly involved in the undergraduate education, especially within the “Engineering Nanoscience” program.The subject area will be embedded into the existing network of close collaboration at NanoLund, including groups with internationally leading expertise in the synthesis, processing and characterization of III-V and III-Nitride materials. This includes access to a full range of equipment for semiconductor nanofabrication at Lund Nano Lab, a central key facility for fabrication of material and devices on the nanoscale.
Subject Physics with specialization in semiconductor optics.
Subject description The topic should be interpreted broadly in the field of light and semiconductor based nanostructures. This includes both fundamental semiconductor physics, for example exciton and polariton physics in low-dimensional structures, as well as applications, for example in photonics and quantum technology. A prerequisite is that the research focus links to existing research within the strategic research area NanoLund (https://www.nanolund.lu.se), preferably by utilizing the expertise in epitaxial growth of semiconductors that exists at Lund University.
Work duties Employment as an assistant professor is a tenure track position, which aims for the holder to develop their independence as a researcher and educator. The work duties mainly involve research and teaching. The position includes the opportunity to undertake five weeks of training in teaching and learning in higher education.Work duties include:
- Research within the subject area.
- Teaching in the first, second and third cycles of studies.
- Supervision of degree projects and doctoral students.
- Actively seeking external research funding.
- Collaboration with industry and wider society.
- Administration related to the work duties listed above.
Qualification requirements Qualification requirements for employment as an assistant professor are fulfilled by someone who has been awarded a doctorate or has the corresponding research competence.Primary consideration should be given to someone who has been awarded a doctorate or achieved the equivalent competence within five years of the deadline for application for employment as an assistant professor. However, someone who has been awarded a doctorate or achieved the equivalent expertise at an earlier date may also be considered if there are special grounds. Special grounds are sick leave, parental leave or other similar circumstances.
Assessment criteria For appointment to assistant professor, the following shall form the assessment criteria:
- A good ability to develop and carry out high quality research.
- Teaching ability.
- Very good oral and written proficiency in English.
- Significant documented postdoctoral research experience.
- Significant documented research experience (e.g. from postdoc or doctoral studies) from another university/institute or relevant experience from industry/public sector.
- Collaborative skills, initiative and the ability to solve work tasks independently, as well as a demonstrated interest in leadership.
As part of the application, the applicant shall submit a research plan that clearly describes the research that will be conducted during the employment in the subject “Physics with specialization in semiconductor optics”. The plan shall also describe how the applicant’s research can complement and strengthen the research at the Department of Physics and the strategic research area NanoLund (https://www.nano.lu.se). Furthermore, the research plan should describe relevant and realistic potential collaborations with existing research groups within NanoLund and whether, and if so how, the planned research can benefit from and interact with the nanofabrication laboratory Lund Nano Lab (https://www.nano.lu.se/facilities/lund-nano-lab). The quality of the research plan will weigh heavily in the assessment of the application.
- Documented experience in project management.
- Documented experience of supervision and/or teaching.
The extent to which the applicant, through their experience and skills, may complement and strengthen ongoing research, undergraduate education, departmental innovation, and how they can contribute to the future development of the department will also be taken into consideration.
Terms of employment This is a full-time, fixed-term employment of 6 years. The employment is regulated in accordance with Chapter 4 Section 12a§ HEA. The purpose of the appointment is for the teacher to be given the opportunity to develop research autonomy and acquire the scholarly and teaching qualifications required for eligibility for appointment as a senior lecturer.
We offer Lund University is a public authority which means that employees get particular benefits, generous annual leave and an advantageous occupational pension scheme. Read more on the University website about being a Lund University employee: https://www.lunduniversity.lu.se/about-university/work-lund-university
Instructions on how to apply Applications shall be written in English. Please draw up the application in accordance with LTH’s Academic qualifications portfolio – see link below. Upload the application as PDF-files in the recruitment system. Read more: http://www.lth.se/english/working-at-lth/to-apply-for-academic-positions-at-lth/
Promotion to Senior Lecturer in Physics with specialization in semiconductor opticsDuring the period of employment, an assistant professor can apply for promotion to a permanent position as Senior Lecturer if he or she has the required qualifications listed below, and is deemed suitable. An assistant professor can only apply for promotion once.
Qualification requirements Appointment to senior lecturer requires that the applicant has:
- A PhD or corresponding research competence or professional expertise considered important with regard to the subject matter of the post and the work duties it will involve.
- Demonstrated teaching expertise.
- Completed five weeks of training in higher education teaching and learning, or acquired equivalent knowledge by other means.
Assessment criteria The assessment criteria specify the aspects to be considered, and the level to be achieved, for the assessment criteria to be deemed fulfilled. The following assessment criteria must be fulfilled for appointment to senior lecturer:
- A good national and international standing as a researcher. The requirement for international experience shall be assessed with consideration to the character and traditions of the subject.
- Good teaching ability, including a good ability to conduct, develop and lead teaching and other educational activities on different levels and using a variety of teaching methods.
- An ability to supervise doctoral students to achieve a PhD.
- An ability to collaborate with wider society and communicate his or her activities.
- A general ability to lead and develop activities.
- Good ability to collaborate, independence and drive.
- Progression in research and teaching expertise.
- Good ability to actively, independently and successfully apply for external funding.
- Ability to contribute to renewal of the activites.
- Ability to actively contribute to the creation and implementation of collaborations with other research groups in NanoLund.
- Sufficient knowledge of Swedish to carry out administrative and educational tasks that require an understanding of Swedish.
LTH forms the Faculty of Engineering at Lund University, with approximately 9 000 students. The research carried out at LTH is of a high international standard and we are continuously developing our teaching methods and adapting our courses to current needs.
The Department of Physics is with a staff of about 350 scientists and educators one of the largest departments within Lund University. There are seven research divisions and a number of research centra within the department. The research activities at the department cover a broad spectrum of modern physics. www.fysik.lu.se/english.
We kindly decline all sales and marketing contacts.
- Type of employment Temporary position
- Contract type Full time
- First day of employment As soon as possible
- Salary Monthly
- Number of positions 1
- Full-time equivalent 100 %
- City Lund
- County Skåne län
- Country Sweden
- Reference number PA2023/1642
- Dan Hessman, +46462220337
- Joachim Schnadt, +46462223925
- SACO:Saco-s-rådet vid Lunds universitet, 046-2229364,firstname.lastname@example.org
- OFR/ST:Fackförbundet ST:s kansli, 046-2229362,email@example.com
Published 29.Jun.2023 Last application date 27.Sep.2023 11:59 PM CEST